WoW Performance on New 1.67 17" PB?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Imidazole, May 24, 2005.

1. Imidazole macrumors regular

So, how well does it run? Last I checked, it ran like **** on a 15" 1.25ghz I checked.

2. risc macrumors 68030

risc

It runs fine on my PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz 15" 64 MB VRAM, so you should have no problems on a machine with 128 MB of VRAM.

3. therevolution macrumors 6502

I have a maxed out 15", which would be the same specs. It runs pretty well... it's slow in areas with tons of people, but otherwise it's perfectly fine. Very playable. I do have 1.5GB RAM though, which probably helps.

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I also run WoW on a dual 1.8 GHz G5 with a 256 MB Radeon 9800 XT and that slows down in areas with heaps of people, I think that is just WoW not a video card/computer thing.

5. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

6. jonat8 macrumors regular

I run WoW on a PB 1.33Ghz 15" with 1Gb of RAM on a 2Mbps DSL connection and it works a treat. As another poster said, if you into say Ironforge at peak time it really slows down because of all the players there. But otherwise it's fine.

7. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

I have recently read (can't remember where though, sry) that WoW was created to run fluently with all options on for computers availiable in 2 years. It's not a game you play through in one weekend so I think that makes sense. If you buy a new computer in 1 - 2 years and still play it the graphics will once again surprise you. I played on my 12" PB (see my sig) before and the new 15 incher makes a huge difference. A guy in my guild recently got himself a new 3.2 Ghz Pc and he can't turn on all the options, but he says it looks amazing...

8. JonD macrumors member

Use an 7200 rpm disk if you can instead of the PowerBook's internal hard drive. I have a 3.5" 7200rpm hard disk in a firewire enclosure connected to my 1ghz TiBook, and boy does it speed things up.

Or just stay away from IronForge :)

9. SurfAddict macrumors member

SurfAddict

I get 30-65 fps everywhere except Ironforge and I'm using the 1440x900 resolution. The Ironforge slowdown is a result of server lag nothing else. But I do have 2 gigs of ram which made my 17 incher more expensive than I think I should have spent on it even if the ram was from frys

10. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I think it runs splendidly...

• In closed areas such as mines, buildings, and dungeons, a consistent 45-60 fps
    • In open areas such as Elwynn Forest, the wilderness, mountains a steady 20-30 fps
    • In capital cities, the framerate remains high with the exception of Ironforge and other crowded areas, 10-15 fps there

I use the following video settings:

• Anisotropic filtering 2x (lowest setting)
    • Trilinear Filtering ENABLED
    • Vertical Sync ON
    • Texture Detail and Terrain Texture on HIGHEST
    • Terrain Distance and Environmental Detail on LOWEST
    • Shaders Enabled: Terrain Highlights (gorgeous)
    • Vertex Animation Shaders ENABLED
    • 1440x900 resolution, dynamic reduction of terrain polygons (Level of Detail) ON

The "Death Effect" and "Full-screen glow", although amazing effects, seem bugged. They virtually cut my FPS in half when enabled, even though turning other effects, such as the Terrain Highlights shaders, ON or OFF has almost no effect on my framerate! This has been the biggest disappointment by far, because I think these effects add a great deal of visual beauty to the game, and I simply can't justify losing half of my frames. My theory is that the video chipset is not being fully utilized for these shaders, or just aren't fully supported yet, so much of the rendering is offloaded to the CPU.

I run 10.4.1 and it purrs along, I could easily run apps while I play but I usually don't.

I think that's everything, if I forgot something just ask!

11. a2daj macrumors member

The Death Effect and Full Screen Bloom effects are done on the GPU. They're using fragment (and vertex?) programs. The effect was actually fixed with either the 1.2 or 1.3 client. It use to render at a max resolution of 1024x768 and scale to whatever resolution you were using above that. This led to pretty decent performance at higher resolutions with the effect in use but things look pixelated and FSAA wouldn't work. They fixed that problem so now the GPU works that much harder at higher resolutions. It's just like Halo's Pixel and Vertex shader rendering path. Basically, every pixel on the screen is affected so the higher the resolution, the more the GPU has to work, thus the slower the performance.