WoW performance on OS X versus Windows XP w/ Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Games' started by bruf, Apr 9, 2006.

1. bruf macrumors member

'Till Boot Camp, everybody was running WoW under Mac OS X on their MBP or Intel iMac. I've read in the past that WoW OS X performance wasn't up to par to the Windows XP version of the game.

I was wondering if anybody took some time to install World of Warcraft on both WinXP and OS X on a MBP/iMac. If you did it, please share your thoughts and benchmarks!

Thanks,

2. xJus10x macrumors regular

3. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

I believe somebody tried it and with a few games too and said the PC version runs better?

4. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I've played WoW on OS X and XP on my iMac. It's 2 Ghz, 2 GB of RAM and 256 VRAM. In my experience there wasn't much difference. On OS X I don't notice any lag except very minimal around the bank in Ironforge. I still get around 20 FPS but everywhere else I get 35+, with settings nearly maxed out. On XP, I maxed out the settings and was getting around 15-20 FPS outside. I lowered the settings to around the same as I play on OS X and I was got about 30-40 FPS. The one benefit I did notice on XP was there was virtually no lag in Ironforge. I got around 25 FPS near the bank and auction house. I'm not on my iMac now but when I get back to I'm going to check the settings on both OS's again because I expected to see an improvement playing under XP.

5. bruf thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input Josh. Anybody tried this on a MacBook Pro?