WOW Performance.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Si., Nov 4, 2006.

1. Si. macrumors member

Hi all..

Very strange.. I've recently installed WOW on both my 15" iBook and Mac Mini dual core, the strange thing is, that the iBook is a LOT smoother that the Mini... I though tit would be the opposite since the ibook has only 32mb video ram and the Mini has 64mb. Mini has 1gb ran, ibook only 786.

Any ideas?

2. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Check the res on both macs and make sure they are set to the same settings. Make sure you use the same character in the same place since major town will have more lag then large open areas.

3. Si. thread starter macrumors member

Done all that..

Same character,
    exact same place
    same resolution
    save GFX settings..

Mac min is much slower than iBook..

:(

4. smitty330 macrumors member

smitty330

Make sure and turn down the resolution pretty low. I find it is much easier to play and what not when it runs smoother even though it doesnt look as good. Even though you turn it down some it really doesnt change a whole lot. Anywho good luck with the WOW hope you dont get addicted:D ha ha

-Matthew

5. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

There's no such a thing as a 15" iBook. Only 12" and 14".

Second, the Core Duo (and Core Solo) Mac mini has the Intel GMA950 integrated graphics chip that uses sytem RAM. In OS X it uses 64 MB of system RAM, while iBook has a dedicated graphics with its own memory pool, though its only 32 MB, its much faster to access it, than the system RAM. Thats why dont get a machine with intergated graphics if ytou want to play games :(

6. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Do you have the universal binary patch installed?

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

8. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Hmmmm in which case I would guess if he is comparing it to the last gen iBooks with the radeon 9550 32MB grfx card then there is nothing wrong because this machine will definitley run it better then the GMA 950 in the mini but if he is talking about an iBook with the radeon 9200 32mb card then there is something fishy because the mini with the GMA 950 and an iBook with a radeon 9200 should run it more or less with the same performance.

9. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Sounds to me like he's playing with Rosetta…