WoW playing on my laptop

Discussion in 'Games' started by luna crescent, Jan 6, 2006.

1. luna crescent macrumors member

I have comcast cable connection so lag shouldn't be a problem.

However, I'm not even sure if my laptop meets minimum system requirements of WoW.

Ibook G3 900 mhz, OS 10.4.3, 640 MB SDRAM, 32 MB Video Card (I'm not sure what video card though)

Should I try to install it?

2. toomuchstereo macrumors regular

It will run but it will be an bad experience.

3. luna crescent thread starter macrumors member

At least it will run right? I can turn the settings down to the lowest it can be.

4. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

With your low settings I would say get a gig of ram for it to run psudo decently. Your settings should cope for lets say the first 15 levels of the game but after that I would consider it unplayable and FORGET about going into ironforge. The ibook in my sig gets anywhere around 14-23 FPS in wow with everything on low.

5. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Man, WOW isn't even that nice looking of a game, why are the requirments so high?

6. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Im sorry but I have to disagree, it is a good looking game even on low settings, I mean I dont think a 1ghz processor 512mb ram and 32mb vram is soo high, even though it plays like crap on those stats.

7. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

On my Mac mini (see sig), with all settings off/lowest, I hate going in big cities (too many players) because my FPS drops to 4-5.

Outside, I get from 20 to 30 FPS depending on the surroundings and monsters.

I'm sorry to say your old iBook will probably melt if you try and play WoW on it. ;-)

8. luna crescent thread starter macrumors member

Er... I wish I could play on my apple laptop even though I have a well specced out windows desktop.

My mom just wouldn't let me use it during school days (weekends included) because she knows I will be playing games on it.

I wonder if the mactel ibooks can run WoW moderately well...

9. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i tired it on a 900MHz g3, was playable, not pleasant but it was ok.

10. Ecodisk macrumors member

Ecodisk

Compared to half-life 2 and guild wars which have about the same system requirements (minimum) it doesn't look that great.......not that graphics really matter or anything:p

11. luna crescent thread starter macrumors member

12. rufwork macrumors regular

I've got the same iBook with a gig and a quarter of RAM and everything runs quite well. I believe the game uses Altivec, and I thought the sys reqs say they require G4+ for this reason. Was surprised to hear it'd even run on a G3 iBook.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/faq/technology.html

I have a Windows box with an AMD 3000+ and 512 megs of RAM with decent integrated video (as oxymoronically as that sounds) and the iBook plays the game much more easily as a rule. So it's definitely a RAM issue that you're going to be worried about moreso than proc.

In any event, max RAM and don't expect much, if anything, from that processor.

Unrelated, I've been very impressed with the game's ability to run with very little bandwidth. Played on a 28.8 cxn for a while when my DSL was down, and no worries whatsoever. Impressive.

13. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

I've played on a GPRS modem ~1.9-3.0k/sec. Ie my cell phone with bluetooth. The latency was high, but the game was playable.

14. Ultimate-Omen macrumors member

how ironic...you can play it on sub-56k while my 802.11g wireless 768k dsl gives me latencies in the thousands.

15. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

err, g3 ibooks can only take 640MB ram, no more.....

16. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

Magic words 802.11. The latency associated with that can be really nasty. I used to try and play at my university, but i had about 2k in latencies. This was on there 802.11 network.

17. luna crescent thread starter macrumors member

How can I increase my g3 ibook ram from 640 mb to 1GB?
    My 2nd slot seemed to only fit 512 MB ram not a 1GB ram chip.

Even so, I will try to run it and see how it goes. It won't hurt to try.

18. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Depends on your definition of playable. 17 FPS is not for me. I want my character to walk, not stutter.

19. Ultimate-Omen macrumors member

b-b-but...its 802.11g!...:( ;) :D

20. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

30-70 on my 802.11g network...

21. Ultimate-Omen macrumors member

LIAR!...now how'd you go and get such good latencies?:p

22. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

It vary variable.

If your network is experiencing lots of interference then you start having real latency issues. The distance to the router, and the number of wireless router you have to go though to get to a land line are also factors.

23. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

Don't know what you playing at, the difference for me between ethernet and 802.11 is at most 5ms on my home network :confused:

Maybe if the base station was being over run with clients it could account for high latencies, but this wouldn't be an issue on most home networks :)

I get around 20ms on most net games by the way, depending on the server of course

24. mishi macrumors regular

mishi

i agree...you will be able to play but it wont be much fun

i played from lvl 1-60 on my powerbook...(specs in sig). playable, even in AB and WSG. but i tell you what the only time where i had to go over to my PC (specs below also) was when it was 40v40 in Alterac valley. i somtimes got 4-5fps in AV with my powerbook. so yeah it will be playable untill you get to lvl 60 and have to go on large MC/ZG/BWL raids. (for some reason my powerbook runs worse in ZG which is 20 man than MC and BWL which are both 40 man).

25. Ultimate-Omen macrumors member

well BWL and MC are indoor enviornments (meaning the GPU has to render a roof, not a moving sky.) plus, from what i remember, ZG has a lot of times where you're fighting a crap ton of enemies (think the tiger dude.)