WOW Private Servers

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by angryvader13, Apr 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors newbie

Hey guys anyone know a private server for wow thats reasonably populated? Are we allowed to talk about WOW private servers or is that not allowed in forums?

2. macrumors 65816

Randman

It's against the ToS from Blizzard and a bannable offense.

Plus, why would you even want that?

3. macrumors G3

Huntn

Are you saying that if Blizzard figures out you are on a private server, they will ban you from their servers? Just curious...

I always thought the danger of a private server would be putting a lot of time and effort into a toon on a private server to watch the server shut down due to Blizzard legal action.

4. macrumors 601

sammich

Playing on a private server only makes you want to pay for the real thing.

5. macrumors 6502

Theoretically. But they have no way of knowing.

But don't do it, private servers are just full of suck. From lag, to little if any players to power abuse

6. macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

7. macrumors regular

You don't know how true this is...

Running my own private server and being able to spawn Onyxia in the middle of Elwynn Forest was pretty sweet. :D It only lasts so long and then you get bored.

Truthfully, some of the quests can be bugged, servers aren't always available, and new patch content takes some time to add. The biggest bummer was the number of players available at any one time on a server. Orgrimmar looks like a ghost town and finding anyone to assist with group quests is pretty much nonexistent.

Some servers in attempt to combat this will automatically start characters at a higher level or offer more XP per quest/kill. It just isn't the same and in the end you'll likely just pay your $15 a month like I did.

8. macrumors 6502

just a heads up, if you register expecting to enjoy WotLK, don't.
    Very buggy emulator on all servers.

9. macrumors G3

Huntn

No worries for me as I'm on Dalaran, paying my $13/month. Cheap entertainment. :)

10. macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

currently my wow is set up on a private server. lol it's good for soloing when I'm bored, free, and I level up quicker. But yeah, if you want more social aspect, pay the money. I don't really care for it as I'm not playing enough anyway.

11. macrumors 601

Plutonius

+1. You get what you pay for...

12. macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well, I can see the draw of private servers for people who just don't have the time to devote to playing WoW. I played it way back when and I don't pay for it because I can't play that often.

I'd be more inclined to run my own server and put an XP multiplier on, say 4 or 5 times normal, and then just play with friends. It would be fun to get 5 or 6 of my buddies together to run quests and instances and whatnot as a group once or twice a month. Bumping the XP up would help us eliminate the grinding and let us move upwards through quests and stuff about as fast as someone playing regularly.

I think that would be fun anyways.

13. macrumors 6502

My brother played a couple private servers. It was soo different that what I had expected.

14. macrumors 68040

the8thark

Technically playing on a WoW private server is not a banable offence from Blizzard. Cause they are two separate things. Private servers, all of them (I know I've been on my fair share) all have the same problems. Donator gear to unbalance things, GM's and server owners who censor certain chat with temp bans, totally unbalanced PvP (but retail has this too), bugged quests, etc etc.

The main reason to play Private server is to avoid the monthly sub. I actually own every WoW expansion, I bought the boxes, and went private server for a change. I've since quit WoW and won't go back but the private server scene is nice if you find a good server and are willing to accept their many many flaws.

I won't bash the really bad private servers I was on. Just not worth it. They don't need the reverse advertising.

15. macrumors 601

Plutonius

Seriously, if you don't want to pay for WoW, play another mmorpg game like clan wars 2. There is absolutely no reason now to play on a private server.

16. Washac, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

macrumors 68000

Washac

How come Blizzard being as big as it is does not act to close them all down ?

Been thinking about joining one myself, only thinking mind =)

17. macrumors 6502

SingularityG

I don't think Blizzard cares that much. Private servers tend to be at least several versions below the original WoW with bug ridden gameplay and purposely unbalanced game elements. Basically, pile of original content running on its own rule set.

I think nowadays most people join a private server when they get bored with the original, where you have to invest time in earning stuff for yourself and can't get anything for real money.:)

If you are looking for a private server that is as close to the original as possible, try Bloodcraft. They have a very nice community, too.:)

18. macrumors 68000

Washac

Bloodcraft does not seem to exist anymore.

19. macrumors 6502

SingularityG

Their Facebook page has recent updates, but they merged together with other private server a while back. Don't know what's it called now.

Edit: TrueWoW?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.