WoW servers down for 6 daylight hours?

Discussion in 'Games' started by slackersonly, Oct 17, 2006.

1. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

What gives?
    Is this normal?
    I guess I am being an east coast USA homer by saying daylight hours.

2. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

Heaven forbid that WOW would shut down the server for 6 daylight hours when there is LIGHT outside reminding us that we should be outside doing something other than playing WOW inside. You could watch the SouthPark episode on WOW about 12 times.

3. slackersonly thread starter macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

My son is home sick today and this was my perfect solution to keep him occupied while I try to get some work done from home today.

I guess I would have thought you would take down the US servers as US nighttime and Europe servers during Eurpoe nighttime, etc.

4. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

If they took down ALL the US servers, I think theyd be in a heap of trouble. If yours got shut down for 6 whole hours, it sucks, but youll be compensated.

5. coconn06 macrumors regular

Every Tuesday is maintenance day. They take the servers down early in the day because the evening is prime time for WoW.

And no Sdashiki, he won't be compensated, all the servers are down just like every other Tuesday.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

As noted, Tuesday is server maint day.
    Typically they don't come back up until 2PMish EST.

7. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

I thought if they kept you out for more than a few hours you get it credited to your accnt.

oh well!

8. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Speaking of servers, does Blizzard do anything for you when your server is so full you have to wait an hour or more just to login? Are you forced to pay to transfer?

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

They don't do dick.. until it gets so full that they offer free transfers to a new server. Otherwise.. you pay to transfer.

10. cubist macrumors 68020

Blizzard gives you no credit for server outages, for server over-occupancy, network outage on their side, lag or anything else. They have regular multi-hour outages for "maintenance". They have a very lame "realm" concept and charge an outrageous $25 fee to move a character from one "realm" to another, presumably because their tools for doing so are extremely primitive.

Yes, it's a lousy service when viewed as a service - but it has given us many fresh perspectives on what a better service would be. WoW is just a stepping-stone to future MMORPGs which will be vastly better.

11. slackersonly thread starter macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

i agree with the end. someone will come along with a better model (how can other companies ignore the profit here). blizzard had better keep on the cutting edge of both programming and customer service or you will be able to actually here the sucking sound of money leaving them and going to the new game/service.

12. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

13. Ringo macrumors regular

Ringo

Still waiting for Starcraft 2 :p So it could be long!

14. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Some European servers are going to be down for 36 hours... :eek: Luckily my server isn't among them, or you'd find me crouched down in a corner babbling incoherently about night elves and orcs by the time the server got up again. ;)

15. Xenesis macrumors regular

Xenesis

Man, you lot have just reminded me why I hate MMORPGs and love single player games.