Wow. SNL is going downhill.

Discussion in 'Community' started by coopdog, Feb 14, 2004.

1. coopdog macrumors 6502a

Ever since the "stars" left SNL especialy Will Farell SNL has gone downhill. I'm watching it now. Who is the "no microphone guy?" and the BBC skit.

And the new guys arn't funny. The overweight black guy just whines the whole time thats all he did on that Nickelodeon show. (Oh no can I say that? :rolleyes: )

Jesus, the Prince show skit was odd.

Well Mya Rudolph was very hot as beyonce.

Has anyone noticed that SNL and Simpsons has not been up to par lately? :rolleyes:

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

VERY TRUE! My friends and I have been commenting on this for months. The greats have definitely left. I only hope that Campaign 2004 will raise the level of quality, as it generally does. But as you said, with the likes of Kenan Thompson, it's not likely. His work in the past has been spotty. "All That" wasn't so hot, although a noble effort at mimicking Saturday Night Live. "Kenan and Kel" was just retarded.

3. Spizzo macrumors 6502

SNL is still on? I havent watched that show in forever, i think the last time i did watch it Will Farell was still on, and even then it wasn't that funny. If i watch anything anymore, it's mad tv, or Family Guy DVD's. Anyone else watch those on end and never get sick of them?

4. fugeelama macrumors member

fugeelama

Hell yeah! Family Guy is funny as hell, Stewie is my new all-time favorite cartoon character :cool:

Lately I've been watching The Dave Chappelle Show. Great stuff -- sometimes way out there but that's his style anyways.

5. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Totally agree. I turned off the TV right after the BBC skit. Though I have to admit... the Jarret's room skit was pretty funny and the news update.

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I watched last night's show too. I laughed twice in an hour and a half--not too good.

7. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Folks, some of you have no point of reference because you are too young. SNL started going downhill in 1982. It's been sophmoric since about then. Eddie Murphy helped for a bit.

8. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Re: Wow. SNL is going downhill.

Indeed. They need to hire back Conan O'Brien and give him $1,000,000 per episode.

9. adt macrumors member

Bull****!

SNL was at its very best from 1994-1997.
    Norm Macdonald (1993-1998), Colin Quinn (1998-2000), Jimmy Fallon
    (2000-present), Will Ferrell (1995-2002), Tim Meadows (1990-2000), Cheri Oteri (1995-2000), Darrell Hammond (1995-present), Kevin Nealon (1986-1995), Adam Sandler (1990-1995), Mike Myers (1988-1995), Jay Mohr (1993-1995)... I could go on. Nice wikipedia entry here with full cast forever

These guys won an emmy for their snl shows: Eddie Murphy (1983-84), Mike Myers (1994), Joe Piscopo (1984), Gilda Radner (1977-78), and Molly Shannon (2000).

As far away as I am from New York, I have a deep appreciation for this show... makes me misty-eyed remembering that era. You know the one... the '96 era. ahhhh

10. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

say whaaaaat?

by 'months' i am sure you meant 'years'...

:( :(

11. alxths macrumors 6502

Yeah, I watched SNL last night and didn't even smirk... quite pathetic.. I mean, I could easily write better stuff than that--ACTUALLY, wait.. the commercial for "Octane" wasn't too bad...but it doesn't require much imagination to make fun of those movies.

Yeah and the simpsons has just been dragged along by FOX for years now. I think the shows writers, given the chance, would be the first to say it's gotten stale...

Oh, and if anyone out there is looking for a good show nowadays, Curb Your Enthusiasm is great, if you liked Seinfeld..

12. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Looking at SNL over the years, there have been a lot of ups and downs. Les Kern and adt both have a point that pre 1982 and the late nineties were pretty good. The late 80s were terrible and parts of the 90s were really bad too. SNL isn't going downhill, it's just entering a slump. There are some bright spots, Tina Fay, Jimmy Fallon, and Horatio Sanz generally the brightest among them. Let's just hope the current slump doesn't last for too long.

13. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

They need to take a better look at what works and what does work on the show.

For instance, I think that the current Weekend Update rivals Norm MacDonalds version or Dennis Miller's Version ... which are definately my two favorite ever (colin quinn was bad) .... so I see this as a defining skit. The monologues are either hit or misss and in the past few years i've been a fan of them.

There are some skits I like, the Webcam stoner kids, Wakeup Wakefield, and the boston kids. They usually make me smile or laugh but there are other themese they just need to drop like that donatella verasche thing ... that alone makes me want to turn off the tv.

SNL can improve and they an refine some of these people into decent stars but its going to take a lot of work and good writing. I would have loved if they had worked in a skit about ARod going to the yankess ... since the trade talks started earlier in the day that would have been perfect for the boston kids skit.

14. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

SNL does suck right now. it has it's ups and downs, but this is as low as it's been since the Jean Doumanian year (1980-81). i think the show itself has just become an institution. used to be cutting edge, innovative, adventurous. now it's just a factory for bad recurring characters and future B-list movie stars.

i watched the show andy roddick (sp?) hosted, and i seriously laughed more at the commercials than the show itself (actual commercials, not parodies mind you)

i'm in a sketch comedy group (link below ;)). sketch comedy is pretty much my life. it hurts to see what SNL has become. it was the reason i got into sketch in the first place. now it's downright insufferable. i have too much to say about this. i'm just gald someone else noticed how bad things are now.

<EDIT> Can jimmy fallon do us all a favor and NOT crack himself up for one show? i haven't seen a professional comedian/actor with less focus since Red Skelton in his "i obviously don't give a s***" phase.

15. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Well these friends of mine with whom I have discussed this I have only known for a year or so, so I felt that "months" would probably be more appropriate.

Yes, Saturday Night Live has been on a steady trend of degradation for years. The 2000 Presidential Election, though, was a temporary fix.

The show is at a depressingly low point now.

16. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

Dude, at least its not MAD TV... which is shi t ...Although SNL is getting there too.... I dunno, SNL has lost the edge they had in the 80ties.... Why is that? It's so sad, I was born in '84, and watching some reruns made me with i was born in '74...actually no id doesnt, I'm 19 right now, if i were born in 74 id be 29...i cant even image what id be lime at 29... shutter, out of college???? can that be? and working???? omg omg omg, panick attack.

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I miss Will Ferrel also. I'm sure that it will find its footing once again.

Actually the last few weeks I have been watching "Ebert & Roper" instead.

18. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

personally i feel snl has been going down hill for years now. they stiill have the typical funny skits but i still like watching the old reruns on comedy central more.

iJon

19. Gravity macrumors regular

Gravity

It comes and goes

I still say that SNL's BEST season was the first season (1975).

I was only six...and not allowed to stay up...but I've been watching first season reruns since the late 70's, early 80's.

Good casts come and go. THe current cast stinks. But they'll soon figure that out and bring in fresh talent.

I think MadTV is generally a better show. But again...its best cast was the first one.

20. tooflets macrumors newbie

Cumulatively, Mad TV is better than SNL, & Fridays was better than both. Too bad it went over most peoples' heads.

21. janey macrumors 603

janey

last night's jarret's room was sorta cool...the whole Mac OS X thing i meant. otherwise it sucked...
    ahh i agree, SNL's getting worse.

22. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I apparently don't have discriminating taste like the rest of you. I like SNL every year, including any reruns from older years that I come across. Or maybe I just know the secret that any comedy show will hit your funny bone now and then and completely miss othertimes, so if you compare the jokes/skits you remember fondly from previous seasons with the worst skit from last night, you'll think the show has gone downhill. If all the people who said "it was good a couple seasons ago, but stinks now" year after year were right, the show wouldn't be on TV anymore.

I generally like the fake commercials best, followed by the news, the reoccurring skits (which are odd at first, then funny partly from familiarity, and eventually stale), the music (depending on who it is), then the one-time skits and political stuff. Least favorite: the commercials every 3 minutes in the last half hour!

23. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Hear, hear! That's one of my biggest gripes with the current cast in general and Fallon in particular.

Nothing breaks the rhythm/pace and suspension of disbelief of a sketch faster than the actors breaking character.

24. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

hey i like jimmy, hes the man.