WoW---So how hosed am I??

Discussion in 'Games' started by kermit4161, Jan 20, 2007.

1. kermit4161 macrumors regular

Finally broke down and bought WoW (first edition). I've been putting it off for a while now and thought I'd give it a go... got home, opened the box and found out that I was seriously underpowered computer-wise :mad:

I swear I looked for a system requirements on the box, but I guess I just didn't see it.

I'm on a Pismo 400 G3 with 768 RAM (and a paltry 8MB VRAM). Is it even worth starting... or should I wait until I get a new computer (who knows how long that'll take :confused: )?

I'm bummed :(

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Ouch! I can't see it running very well at all there.

ps. I thought you can legally download the ISO's anyways? Then go ahead and buy a subscription or simply get a 10 day free trial from somewhere. hmm.

3. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

It's worthing launching the app, but dude. You may get 5 frames a second while by yourself. get a new computer. ;)

4. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

Yeah, playing it on that computer would be near impossible. I'd be shocked if you even came close to double digit FPS.

5. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

The PowerPC has a velocity engine and Altivec! I am sure it can handle your WoW just fine! :D

6. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Not the 400Mhz G3 though. ;)

I didn't even want to bother with WOW on my 800MHz G4 PowerBook, so definitely, the OP wouldn't want to on their Pismo. I wonder if it would even run at all?

Yeah, Blizard even offers a full version download (no Burning Crusade though) of it on their website with a 10-day trail account.

7. kermit4161 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay... newbie question here: What's an ISO?

8. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

It's a disk image. You can open it up and use it like a CD in your cd drive. :D

btw I had to try this out: :apple:

9. kermit4161 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay. Thanks. Well, I've got it loaded on my Pismo okay. But I'm waiting on creating an account for the moment. I don't want to waste my free month if this isn't going to work.

Would I at least be able to set up my character, etc., and then play later if I got a better computer?

10. kermit4161 thread starter macrumors regular

Nope... doesn't work. I hit play... screen went black (found a stuck pixel dammit) and music started, but that was it. No video at all.

I guess I'm just stuck until I can upgrade. Again... I'm bummed :(

11. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Sorry to hear that.

You may able to "pause" your account. Look into that.

12. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Get a new computer! I got mine last year on a 10 month free interest credit. You have to be in higher education though or get it through your institution's network (that's how it works in the UK anyway).

13. kermit4161 thread starter macrumors regular

I wish my school had such a credit program. Unfortunately we don't. The best I can do is the Apple Educational discount... but I had to spend all my money on books this semester... wiped me out. I'm going to try and scrape up the money, but it might have to wait until next semester.