WoW: sold out???

Discussion in 'Games' started by kuyu, Feb 2, 2005.

1. kuyu macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2003
    So yesterday I decided to bite the bullet and buy WoW. However, to my dismay it's immpossible to find... anywhere. What's the deal?

I read something about server overloads, so maybe they stopped selling it for a while. If this is the case, it's a huge folly on Blizzard's part. I was going to buy the game and prepay for 6 months. If they don't start selling these in the next few weeks, I'm going to play the Matrix Online instead.

Anyone know what's going on??? Thx. :(
  2. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Blizzard has it for sale online; I'm sure others do as well.
  3. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Apr 11, 2004
    Thats gotta suck... I hate getting all excited about buying something and then I go to the shop and to my dismay the thing I came for is sold out.
  4. vashim66 macrumors member

Oct 25, 2003
    they DID have pull it off the shelves because they had too many people for the servers to handle. Forget where I read this...probably won't last too long regardless.
  5. tubedogg macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2003
    GameStop has it in stock (not the website, the local least the one I work at does).
  6. kuyu thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2003
    I wish mine did. None in stock, none on the way.
  7. Nejja Halcyon macrumors newbie

Aug 9, 2004
    They did not pull it off the shelves. They shipped masssssive amounts of WoW to all the stores, and it sold out everywhere. They were expecting (according to my local GameStop) 125k, they got 500k. So, they have just stopped shipping until they can get all the server problems worked out and efficiency up and lag down. My GameStop keeps their copies in the back, along with game cards. Make sure you ask. Also, Blizzard will have copies available from their store if nothing else works, so order there.

Nejja Halcyon

(53 Human Priest, Dragonmaw)
  8. Drgnhntr macrumors regular

Nov 4, 2004
    San Diego
    They seem to have stock at I have also seen copies at my local Target and walmart but usually only a few copies.

I can't believe that Blizzard only expected 125k sales. Blizzard games historically sell really well. This seems like poor planning on Blizzard's part.
  9. msbsound macrumors regular

Jul 16, 2002
    Charlotte, NC

Inside Mac Games just recently posted that they got more in stock and the website still shows it to be in stock. Also my local Comp USA had them available last I checked. May wanna check out their website if you have one nearby.
  10. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

Nov 17, 2003
    Daytona Beach
    It should also be noted that when you do get the game play on my server and I will give you some free money...

Ari 55 NE warrior
  11. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    Yeah, I hate it when that happens. But I almost never leave to purchase something. I just order it from Amazon.Speaking of which, have you looked for it at Amazon?
  12. jasylonian macrumors regular

Sep 25, 2003
    did blizzard understimate the second round of their shipments as well as their first? when the first round sold out, i was upset, so i made sure i got a copy in the second round (checked local retailers daily after blizzard showed they were in stock), but now the blizzard site is showing out again. how are the servers doing now? i haven't started, yet... but i'm planning on it pretty soon.
  13. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

Oct 4, 2004
    Well... at least we know Blizzard wont be going out of bussiness anytime soon. :D
  14. tubedogg macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2003
    I'm totally confused as to why my GameStop has had like 10 copies sitting there for at least 2 weeks and yet every other place seems to be sold out. Weird.

Anyway in regards to your question, it probably isn't a matter of underestimating the second shipment, it's just they can only make them so fast and they have to divvy up the shipment across thousands of retailers (and from there, to hundreds of thousands or millions of individual stores).

The server I play on (Medivh) has never gotten really bad for me, except once when it crashed. Other than that it has been fine, even during peak times, with only slight lag in the very densely populated areas.
  15. CAM macrumors newbie

Mar 12, 2004
    Lillington, NC
    If you can't/don't want to buy it online then try a less traveled store or a normal department store. I have pretty good luck at Target with things like this. If going to a video game store like Gamestop or EBGames try one not located in a mall. The Apple Store carries it! :D

My problem isn't finding the game, it's finding a machine to play it on that I can afford. :p
  16. Spymit007 macrumors regular

Aug 25, 2004

HEY! I'm on Medivh as well. So far it's been a very reliable server. Lots of Doomhammer refugees. Tubedogg, are you alliance or horde?

Back to the topic at hand, I bought my copy of WoW the day it was released at BestBuy. Since the weekend after Thanksgiving, I have not seen it in stock at all and I go there quite often (DVD and CD junkie). I just checked Amazon and they seem to have the game in stock. Also, Blizzard's site has it as well. Looks like at this point, your best bet is to buy online.
  17. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Jun 26, 2004
    I live in a giant bucket!
    I bought mine the other day from CompUSA. At first I thought I was SOL but as I was looking at other games I noticed ONE copy hiding behind numerous copies of Everquest. :eek:

Before I even got there I was wondering if it was even worth it to me to buy it seeing that I do have better things I should be doing with my money, not to mention ANOTHER monthly bill. But once I reliezed that they had just about none left I snatched their last copy. :p
  18. tubedogg macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2003
    I'm Alliance, a gnome warlock.

I wanna know why the GS I work at still has stock. When I was working last night I noticed we still have the same 3 copies we had when I bought mine early last week.