WoW Speed Problems

Discussion in 'Games' started by chiwawa2004, Feb 17, 2005.

1. chiwawa2004 macrumors newbie

hi, i have a g5 1,8 single, 1,25 RAM and 9600XT.

Wow runs at 70 fps in towns, around 35 fps outside.
    But on low details, 16BIT and 1024x786, OSX 10.3.8 and newest Patch.

Whats wrong?

People with PCs, with the same Hardware (exept cpu :) have much higher details on, like MAX, and it works...

So what to do?

2. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Same here with a 9800 Pro 256 ram. Wow is not yet fully optimized for Mac OS. You've got to be patient, Blizzard is working on optimizing the product.

3. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

That's about all you can expect, I get about the same on a dual 2.0 G5 at 1280x1024. The bottom line is it'll probably never be as fast as the PC version because of the DirectX/OpenGL translation, but WoW isn't a framerate-based game anyway...it's never going to run at Doom/UT type of rates. Sure I'd like a few more fps maybe, but I'm pretty happy with the WoW performance. It's entirely playable now and if they can solve the texture loading choppiness issue things'll be good.

4. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

On my 1.8ghz 17" iMac I get in the high teens outdoors and 40+ indoors with all the shaders on, details at low, and all distances set in the middle. If I turn the resolution down from 1440*900 to whatever the next lowest widescreen setting is (can't recall of hand), I can turn the details up to high and get over 20 pretty consistant outside and up to 70 inside.

My point, though, is that even at about 12fps the game is actually very playable, so until they get more optimizing done you should easily be able to enjoy the game.

Rob

EDIT: I forgot to unplug my external monitor before playing... I am actually getting in the mid to high 20s outside, with spikes into the 30s if there's not to many ppl around... 70+ indoors no trouble... I am actually very please with how this game performs... 768mv ram btw.

5. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I was getting very decent performance until this last WoW patch. 10.3.8 was giving me a consistent 40-60 fps outdoors. Now, I get very erratic readings. I typically get 15-30 outdoors now, but the longer I play it seems to peak up to 70 fps sometimes. Something is obviously borked.

6. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Basically you just have to accept that even OpenGL games are slower on "equivalent" hardware on the Mac. I don't think Apple has ever put as much effort into their OpenGL subsystem or on optimizing the drivers for the graphics cards they use as the Windows world has. That's because PCs are far more used for "gaming" than Macs are. It's just a fact of life. If you want a high end gaming experience, get a PC, and just use it for that. Use your Mac for everything else.

7. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

That's exactly why I have my Dell XPS Laptop. :)

3.4GHz P4, 1GB RAM, 160GB HD, Radeon 9800 Mobility 256MB, 15" WUXGA screen.

8. infect macrumors member

infect

It shouldn't have to be like that. That's the point. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to shell out the money for a (admittedly pricey) Powerbook because to me, it's worth it to get what i want... it's a better machine for the way I work. But why should I have to pay for a Mac AND buy another PC just to do all the things I want my Mac to do just as well?

9. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I fired up WoW on my laptop last night and the performance is way down on the PC client too. I was getting 40-60 fps before the WoW patch and now I am getting 20-30.

10. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Have the same setup and I've never seen 70 FPS, gg thanks

(oh yeah, and in towns performance is *always* worse than outdoors)

11. jasylonian macrumors regular

somebody mentioned shutting off their finder while playing WOW... how exactly do you go about doing that?

12. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Then something is wrong with your computer. I have a 17" 1.6ghz iMac and I have seen 70fps inside buildings and tunnels and stuff.

Rob

13. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

This is macrumors... can we keep the "gg thanks" (and other "l33t speak" garbage) on the WoW boards? :rolleyes:

I don't know my fps, but WoW plays extremely smoothly on my SP 1.8 G5 with Radeon 9600 and 1.5 GB of RAM.

14. chiwawa2004 thread starter macrumors newbie

extremely smoothly?

Today I was involved in a Raid, around 60 people, it was UNPLAYABLE at 800x600 LOW detail, there could be 2 reasons:

WOW is REALLY bad piece of Software
    or MACS are slow :)

15. infect macrumors member

infect

... isn't that a bit pretentious?

Come on... I play on a 1.5GHz Powerbook with 1GB of ram and also have been in large raids. I play at the native resolution and have never had a problem with WoW becoming "unplayable."

You have to realize that WoW can be considered a ported piece of software. It's built from the ground up to be optimized for PC's. Granted, Blizzard has (and always has) done a good job of bringing it to the Mac platform, but it's doubtful to say a Mac will ever experience comparable performance to a PC, but it's not because of the hardware or software alone necessarily. To say "WOW is REALLY bad piece of Software or MACS are slow" is ignorant. I consider myself lucky to be able to play on my Mac at all, let alone have decent performance. As any sane company will do, Blizzard has chosen to cater to its biggest audience. You can't expect them to be putting in the same time and effort optimizing its Mac port to squeeze the same type of performance out of the OS that you see in the windows version. It's just not reasonable, although I'm sure we all wish they would.

16. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Doesn't necessarily matter on the size of the raid.

Depends on the zone in question, to be honest.

A full 40 man raid in BRD is laggy as hell (try 8 FPS), but once you hit Molten Core, its smooth as hell.

Also please describe your "large raid" experience, thanks.

17. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

1) If you were in a raid group raid groups cap at 40 people... so nice. If not, it wasn't really a "raid" per se.

2) If you were raiding Southshore, than that's why.

As far as I've experienced, all raid instances (green instances) run fine with raid groups.

However going into towns, and flying, I get a lot of FPS loss, around 20 typically but it dips below when doing texture seeks.

18. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

or blizzard's servers can't handle the load of half the realm in one zone at once maybe? ever notice how EVERYONE complains about lag at the same times, mac and PC users alike?

And I've NEVER seen WoW become anything close to unplayable on my computer... of course the smoothness changes a lot, but unplayable? Not in my experience.

19. chiwawa2004 thread starter macrumors newbie

The think is, maybe something is wrong with my mac -.-
    Freehand MX is also very slow, and the overall peformance seems slower to me than my PC (accept of the fact that Freehand is unuasable on PC because of massive graphicproblems :)

I mean I played the Game at LOW Detail Thousands of Colors, Graphicsettings (ATI PANEL) "Performance" and 800x600 !!!

The Raid was near Darkshore, around 30 People in our group and also around 20-30 or more on the hordessite, and I say, it was not playable, because, I got Frames unter 10!

20. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Lag != FPS performance

If the computer cannot process the information, either by pumping out those frames or hanging, that's a client side problem, NOT server side.

21. Bangpow macrumors member

I just received my brand new 15" PB 1.5GHz/512 RAM on Friday and i installed WoW on Friday night. I updated to OS X 10.3.8 and i installed all the patches for WoW before i even played the game. I haven't touched the video settings and i can say that the game plays great!

It gets a little choppy here and there, but not very often and i've run in and out of buildings. towns, and mines. So far, so good.

But can someone tell me which button to hit to display my fps??

22. chiwawa2004 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just know one patch 1.2.3...

23. Bangpow macrumors member

Ok, then i guess there was only one patch. I'm now to the game and the patch took FOREVER to download, so i wasn't sure if there were a couple in there.

24. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Ctrl+R is the default bind for showing FPS.

25. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I REALLY want to get WoW, but I'm a little worried now! I see that a lot of people have computers that are a lot, if not just slightly better than mine, and you guys are having some playability issues -- 1.5gHz G5's, 1.4 PB's and whatnot. I have a G4 iBook, 1.2 & 768. I bought it right before Christmas (it was the display, so it's not the 1.33 gHz model -- I DID do a complete system wipe and reinstall, though!), so it's pretty much brand new. With all the similar specs being thrown around, I can only assume that I should probably be able to run WoW, but I'm a little worried that I might be overlooking something... Any help?

I'm a relative noob to the Mac world, so I'm still a little unsure of some things, so be gentle. :rolleyes: