WoW Stress test over...

Discussion in 'Games' started by ijimk, Sep 13, 2004.

1. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

Well i just wanted to get some first impressions of the game after we all had our sneak peak. I can't help to feel a bit like a crack fiend and blizzard is my drug dealer. The first time is free and after that sneak peek you pay. :)

I thought Blizzard did a GREAT job on this game. The amount of detail put into this is unreal. The graphics have so much character with an unproportionate style that adds alot of flavor and a great feel to all of the game.

I played Dark Age of Camelot for 2.5 years and I must say all the things i did not like about DAOC Blizzard has changed for WoW. It plays alot like a 1 player game. Meaning you dont need 8 people toget good XP. I was able to get to lvl 10 in 2 days all solo. THis would have taken much much longer on DAOC. In my opinion this game will revolutionize MMORPGs if it has not already. I can't wait for retail.

2. i_am_a_cow macrumors regular

I loved it.

I loved it, but I won't be buying it retail because it costs way too much money and I don't have that kind of time.

3. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

i too sypmathize with blizzard being my crack dealer...and boy was that first free taste of their "quality product" sweet.

warning: World of Warcraft has crack like addictive qualities, administer at your own risk.

the game blew me away, you can solo by yourself and gain experience, but the REAL fun of the game is in adventuring with parties in high level caverns. nothing is more exciting that exploring deep into a cavern, slaughtering your enemies by the dozens, only to encounter a massive room filled with mobs, and the ensuing chaos as everyone fights for their life.

my favorite characters:

Druid - a soloers wet dream. Has the ranged attack spells of a mage (albeit slightly weaker and less diverse), has the healing powers of a priest/paladin (again less powerful, but slightly more diverse as he incorporates both heals, rejuvenations, and remedies such as cure poison), and his shape shifting abilities allow him to act as a 1. tank aka warrior (bear, dire bear forms) 2. stealth aka rogue (cat or whatever it was called) 3. aqua form (those undead thought they were special for underwater breathing? muahaha!) 4. and a fast land travel form TBA.

Warrior - the leader of most parties. can absorb massive amounts of damage, and is able to deal out quite a bit in return. master of all weaponry, he can learn to use any armament (although he requires plenty of SP for more obscure ones). i found he interestingly requires the most amount of finesse to achieve a good result. while you can rely on him to walk into a mob and smash all comers, many of his spells require being played at a SPECIFIC moment (i.e. directly after your enemy Dodges, you cast Overpower for an automatic unblockable hit with increased damage, or if you see them preparing to cast a spell you hit them with Bash to instantly stop it).

Paladin - a group's wet dream. he can keep everyone alive while fighting from the front lines in much the same way as a warrior (with far less offensive capabilites). his auras and seals are his truely rewarding skills as they benefit the group.

Mage - superior offense. with the use of a few well placed icebolts (slow the target) and a few fireballs (hvy dmg) you can slaughter most opponents before they are capable of reacting. you will require the help of others however, as you can't take on mobs very well and even one powerful enemy can take you down if he is able to close the distance with you. can conjure food and water to keep the party taken care of (restores hp and mana respectively).

the other classes are all interesting, each has their own +'s and -'s, i found the magii and paladin/shaman typically require being in a group, whereas warriors and druids could basically smash their way through to the depths of a cavern on their own, kill the boss, then fight their way back out, with minimal healing breaks.

i found i was able to get to lvl 6 in a day with any character (basically complete the noobie areas), then my interest depended how much farther i carried the character.

the tauren were my favorite, so much character, and i mean YOU ARE MASSIVE! i played druid, they also have a better looking bear (w/ horns and tribal markings) IMO.

next came my Orc Warrior, he was a beast! I spent nearly 1 gold on his armor, but by the end of the stress he was decked out in full chain mail with a two handed maul and a backup armament of a powerful hand axe and huge shield (220 armor, 4xblock), he had over 700 armor with his shield equipped, and did a base damage of 30 with his maul, causing crit damage close to 150.

my dwarf hunter was fun, but there was this annoying bug that kept causing his pets to disappear (even though i kept them well fed) so i was never able to significantly level them. using a gun is just too much fun though. the fact they can use a two handed sword (taller than most dwarves) but not a hammer is questionable.

i won't continue to blabber incoherently (okay maybe a little...) but all the classes are great, but very few had talents implemented yet which was disappointing. my favorite aspect: not all characters use mana. warriors use rage (as they fight, they get angrier, and are able to unleash devastating attacks, meaning your character has to take some damage before he is capable of unleashing his fury). rogue's use energy, so they can bust out a few moves before they tire and need to recooperate. the only one i don't like is the hunter using mana, kind of weird for powerful gun shots or arrows to cost mana.

can't wait to buy this game. i am addicted. i need my fix.

4. kparvez macrumors member

Go Tauren Warriors!

World of Warcraft is uber-crack! I played it for for about 4 days of the stress test (then forced myself to go cold turkey) and I had reached level 14 as a Tauren Warrior! The game is fantastic! I had my eyes on Star Wars Galaxies before it had come out, but my PC wouldn't run it, but WoW works even on my 12inch 1Ghz powerbook! A must buy for RPG gamers!!

I can't wait til it comes out, I'll be playing non-stop! Just hope servers don't reach that 4+ billion number like they had during the stress test! ;) I'm sure Blizzard would accomodate that many fans! And it was nice of them to extend the deadline from Thursday to Sunday! Blizzard is the best, makers of games for PC and Mac, now that's love!

5. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

I think WOW has awesome missions compared to other MMO's. But I think that's the only thing that stands out. It seemed like everything was static, except for the bunny running around. Trees didn't move, grass didn't sway, and your character design is severely limited. But They've got the gameplay down. My biggest irritations?

Finding a team (a good team!) is hard and painful. Where's the 'search for team' function? 'start a team' function? locate key location tools?

I'd say there's disappointments ahead if you've played STG, COH, etc religiously before.

Will i buy the game? Of course. Why? because they made it for the mac, and it's fun. How long will i play it? ...that all depends on how much i like it and if i've got friends playing it still. I'd prefer to play with people in this community to be honest. :) What'd u guys say to that?!

6. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I guess I'm the only one who didn't really like it. I got bored really quick. Plus the fact that it was totally unoptimized for the mac didn't help, or that there was a G5 sound bug that prevented all sound effects from playing.

I don't know, I can only have so much fun running around and talking to other people, and I don't think I'll be shelling out $50 + $10/month to do that.

7. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

I can understand your point of view. However, the problems you mention are uniquie. I didn't have these problems, and i was surprised how well it ran with my 9600pro. Too late to troubleshoot now...

8. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

I was lvl 10 Tauren warrior! You should have mentioned that somewhere we could have quested together :D

9. JasonL macrumors regular

I definitely enjoyed the stress test. There are certainly bugs still to be worked out (corpses don't always look like corpses, for example), but overall I thought Blizzard did a really good job with it. I didn't have as much time as I would have liked to play it (the crack analogy isn't all that far-fetched) but can already tell that I'll be buying it.

My character was a lev 14 dwarven warrior. I can't believe some people had 40+ lev characters. They must not have anything to do all day long and/or had multiple people playing the same character practically around the clock.

I was also happy to discover that the game runs fine on my PB. Not great, but plenty well enough.

10. ijimk thread starter macrumors 6502a

ijimk

My fav class was my night elf Hunter. He was so uber. I pulled with my bow and by the time a mob 2 lvls higher than me got to me he only had 20% of his life left. Night elfs were made to play as hunters and rouges :)

11. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

I think the game is great. I can't wait till it comes out. It also played perfectly on my powerbook.

12. bastardx macrumors member

World of Warcraft was my first MMORPG. Mainly because the game was from Blizzard, so I figured it had to at the very least not suck. After figuring out that it didn't like case-sensitive file systems, I installed it on my G5, and played it for way too much time. It ran smoothly except under two circumstances, 1) Flights, well, I guess that people with more memory, and much better graphics boards have the same problems. 2) massive raids, we had a raid with 40 people attacking a night elf town in darkshore.. and it lagged fairly badly until I reduced it to 800x600 and turned off all effects, and attacked from the beach outside of town. Although it was somewhat sad to see my level 20 Undead Mage die like that, but I am sure I will build another one just like it when open beta comes out, and probably try other character races/classes as well.

13. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I loved it, I didn't get to play it as much as I wanted, maybe 15-20 hours total of over the whole 9 days. I played a gnome mage, and got to lvl 14, I played EQ for like 2 years, and had a lvl 55 wizzy in EQ. I like being the damage dealer :D

The game ran great on my home system (see sig) at 1920x1200 resolution will all settings turned down (I couldn't tell much difference between low and high personally, except clip of course). I averaged 25-30fps outside, and 60-80fps indoors. Needless to say I am going to buy this game, and am really excited to experience this game on my mac (I really have no choice since I ditched the PC world).

Great game, great fun, can't wait.

14. Barham macrumors regular

I was part of that Raid on Auberdine. I was a lvl 13 Night Elf Druid named Murtagh. You probably didn't notice me, since I was only alive for like 15 seconds at a time. Heh, I did kill a lvl 20 some undead. Man, that raid defense was fun. I think that was the best part of my WoW experience. I wish that it was optimized for Mac, that raid got pretty rough on my 12" with 768 RAM.

Yes, it is very much like crack (or at least as bad as Diablo).

-Hasta

15. ijimk thread starter macrumors 6502a

ijimk

Yea i ran the game at 1680 by 1050 with all settings turned up and it ran great. I don't know how to tell FPS in the game but if i had to guess i'd say around 35-45 FPS. Over all it ran super on my cpu in sig.

16. Santiago macrumors regular

It was even playable on my two-year-old PowerBook G4 800 MHz with a mere Radeon Mobility. I had a quite a bit of fun playing a gnome warlock. Even the imp you can summon at the beginning was taller than my character. :)

17. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

the diablo soul in me is screeming to be realesed, i keep it in a cage locked up tight, occasionally letting it out to play balders gate on my xbox.

18. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

I was part of several raids in aburdine on the maneroth gateway. I was level 11 Ne warrior called Ari. I loved the game it raiding was so much fun and just seeing the the war-craft universe like that was moving.(well maybe not). The only thing that bugged me was getting to the noob orc level area. It was just too easy to get into and kill all the level 4-6s.

19. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

The human eye doesn't notice any FPS beyond 30 so there's no way you could measure that it was between 35-45.

20. Barham macrumors regular

I don't care what people say "the human eye can see", because I CAN tell the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps. Sorry, pal, but either your stat is wrong or I'm an exception to the rule.

-Hasta

21. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

LOL that is a joke right? I can totally tell the difference between 30 and 60, and so can anyone that can sense motion. I think that you are confused, i believe that the human eye has a hard time telling the difference between anything 60 frames and higher, but 30 frames is considered acceptable by your average, non-hardcore gamer.

Oh, and to view the frame rate meter in WoW, you hit Control-R and it will show FPS. I had FPS showing all the time while I played.

22. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Maybe this goes back tot he whole mac gamers having low standards. I thought it ran crappy at 1024x768 and 1280x1024, both standard settings and like 35 FPS max. I hope they optimize it a lot more.

23. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I don't see why people don't find 35 FPS acceptable, it's not like this is a first person shooter, where frame rates are all that really matter. For me 30-40 frames makes that game totally playable, sure it would be great to have 60 or higher at all times, but it is not necessary, not in a MMORPG.

I am sure it will run better when it goes gold, but for me I am more than happy at the moment with it.

24. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

I noticed chop alot too, but you've got a 9800 pro! It was acceptable for me at 1280x1024 with my 9600pro... settings set in the middle somewhere. I do remember that it ran like schit when i turned everything up.

So anyway, i think that everyone experienced some type of chop with this game... but it's got to be remembered that alot of that is due to latency of clients connected to the server, and your internet connection. During heavy fights with lots of other players, i monitored network bandwith and it got up to about 15kbps. That's 3x the modem speed.

25. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I think that some people here are getting FPS confused with latency/internet connection issues. You will not drop frames when you have a slow connection, it will just jump around, like a record skipping, but it will not slow down the FPS.