WOW technical problem (trial account)

Discussion in 'Games' started by d-fi, Aug 20, 2006.

1. d-fi macrumors member

Jan 12, 2004
    Calgary, Canada
    hi all

since blizzard won't let me post with a trial account on their forums i thought maybe someone here might be able to enlighten me.

i got my recruit a friend link e-mailed to me and i downloaded the europian download from macgamefiles since it was at the top of the list out of the 2 english choices. went to, signed up, installed and put in my trial key.

i logged in then it patched, logged in again and it patched. Now it's up to 1.11.2 when i put my account information in now it says that..

"The information you have entered is not valid. Please check the spelling of the account name and password. If you need help in retrieving a lost or stolin password and account, see for more information."

Now i know that the name and login i typed in is correct i've been using the same information the whole time.

The only difference i can see is that when i signed up i was signed up at not

do i have to redownload the whole game again?! thats going to kill my download cap for the month if thats the case.

Is there anyway to convert to the US version from the Europian version?

Something else maybe?

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated

(Edit: i should add that i'm in New Zealand so which version to download wasn't an obvious choice)
  2. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2005
    I'm not certain on this, but I think that the version you download does matter. I'm in Taiwan right now, and I wanted to hop on my character at an internet cafe. However, with the Chinese WoW installed, I couldn't log in. (I'm assuming I got the same error dialogue as you, I wasn't able to fully comprehend what the error message said)
  3. colocolo macrumors 6502

Jan 17, 2002
    Santiago, Chile
    I'm just guessing here, but trying my best to help you.

Go to the Wow app, right click and select show package contents.
    Go to the MacOS folder inside contents.
    Make a backup of the file "World Of Warcraft". It should have a terminal kind of icon unless you fiddled with it.

Place your backup on a safe place. You will need it in case this attempt fails.

Now, try to find inside those 14MB of text a string like this:

Last realm connected torealmName*******

Change the realms listed in your file to match the ones showed above.
    NOTE: do not copy and paste them! just change exactly what you need to. Not one character more or one character less. You nseed to be very precise as there are lots of hidden characters in there and if you mess one up it probably wont work.

I am guessing the
    is obviously the most important one. Just in case, change the other ones if they are different but my guess is that they don't matter.

I hope it works, cause that's the best i can come up with at this time of the night :)