Wow that's hot

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by oldschool, Oct 10, 2003.

1. macrumors 65816

oldschool

I never realized how hot my new Al15" pb is. Near the trackpad its not that bad, but i just touched above the keyboard...and DAMN that is hot. I had to move my hand away...other people say that this is not the case with theirs..is mine unique?

2. macrumors newbie

I think the 'hot' issue is a valid one. I have just visited a booth displaying the laptop (the 1 GHz model) and it feels hot near the trackpad and above the keyboard (and it has just been switched on for 3 hours). Doesn't seem to happen with the previous generation of PB though.

3. macrumors 65816

yoda13

I think that it is an issue with the Aluminum books, as my 12" gets hot in the same places.

4. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Mine doesn't get hot at all, so I don't know...if I am doing a lot of folding and movie encoding and stuff, it gets a little warm near the hinge under the display, but it's never "hot" to where I'd have to pull my hand away. I use it with a TravelTech Coolpad on my bed, so I don't know if that makes the difference or not, but it keeps it raised a few 1/10's of an inch for cooling.

5. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

my 1 Ghz 12" albook gets warm right over the hard drive (left of the keyboard), but certainly not so that it would hurt, or I'd have to move my hand. It really gets no warmer than the ibook it replaced, actually.

6. macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

This actually does happen with previous generation PowerBooks. My 1GHz TiBook can get UNBEARABLY hot sometimes. It's worst on the bottom toward the back, and on the surface between the keyboard and the screen hinge. I don't even have to be doing anything RAM/Processor intensive. iChat/iTunes/Safri is enough to do that.

I'm actually upgrading to the AlBook partly because of that.

7. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

While you guys mentioned it, I have to say that my 15" 1.25 GHz G4 PowerBook stays a lot cooler in many instances than my 400 MHz G3 PowerBook that I replaced it with.

8. macrumors 65816

yamabushi

I hope the G5 PowerBook has more cooling built into the form factor. Heatpipes or ridges along an aluminum surface would help.

9. macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

Re: Wow that's hot

Try downloading this app and tell us what the temp reads.

10. macrumors 601

stoid

Re: Re: Wow that's hot

That one doesn't work on the 15inch AluBooks, and I have proof, my laptop is just over room temperature and it is registering at 140 degrees F.

11. macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

Yeah, but that's the temp of the processor, not the temp of the aluminum casing.

12. macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

Mine is reading just shy of 130°F, and you can feel the heat coming from the case. Of course, I'm installing a 4.4 GB app at the moment from a DVD, so I know what's adding to the heat.