Wow, The TiBook is cool :)!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by grrr223, Feb 20, 2002.

1. grrr223 macrumors regular

I'd just like to give my impressions of my first time actually using a Tibook. It was a 566 mhz model, which I guess they don't sell anymore, but it was brand new to me. WOW. Honestly, Apple puts more thought and engineering into the power cord on this thing than most companies put into their entire computer. It just exudes a refined character that says "I had the good sense to buy this well crafted tool." So I took it out of the box, it is very solidly constructed without being too heavy or clunky. Then again, I do'nt know how something that's less than 1" thick can be clunky. From the titanium(???) door to cover all the ports on the back to the cool pc card eject button on the side, it's just cool.
    It took me a few seconds to figure out the power cord, I actually got out the manual. No, I could have just plugged it in in about 2 seconds, but to fully utilize the engineering that went into it, I had to check the manual, although if I had played with it enough, I probalby would have figured it out eventually. There's a square power adapter which has 2 retractable prongs that you can just plug into the wall, or take the prongs off and the extension cord plugs into the newly opened slot. You can also unfold two little things to wrap any extra cord around to keep it as compact as possible. There is even a little clip on teh wire so that it stays wound. Just about 10 new, well-thought out features that are the real reasons we buy Apple products. It doesn't just come with a black wallwart that ugly, heavy, cumbersome, and unrefined.
    I could talk all day aobut the thing, but I'll spare you all.

One thing I would like to comment on is that the trackpad defaults to not being able to tap it to function as a mouse click. Most pc laptops I've used have this as a feature, and when I went to the apple store with one of my friends, she was all mad because the apple laptops don't do this. However, you can quickly change it in the preferences. I jsut think that they should keep this feature turned on at the Apple stores so that PC users don't get mad about little thingsl ike that that are actually there when they're already looking for any reason they can to not like Apple products.

2. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

3. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

566? Im not aware that apple sold one ...ever.
    Anyways thats cool that you dig the ti. It has just begun.

4. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

i totally agree. the Ti is a thing of beauty pure and simple (although i do love my lil black g3 powerbook too). i just thought it was funny you mentioned the power cord as an example of apple's attention to detail and design. apple power cords for their portables are notoriously poorly made. apple actually had to recall all of the original g3 powerbook powercords they had such serious problems. i have owned 4 power cords over the two years i have had my laptop. one breaks after about 6 months and you have the shell out another $150 for a new one (luckility the prices have fallen so that a new one "only" costs $80 now). each new one gets better. i had two of the black box ones. and two of the circular ibook-style ones. i suppose the are great for people who never use their powercord, but sometimes i just have to use my laptop while it is plugged in.

5. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    My department bought me a Ti PowerBook just after Macworld last year, and I use it almost daily...writing to you all now from it, matter of fact.

I remember everyone gathering around the box when it arrived, and I took it out in front of them all, and we all just gasped. Since then, my co workers have recieved their own, and my personal impression (and in articles that have reflected my thoughts) is that this machine, in many ways, is probably the finest Macintosh that Apple has ever made.

I couldn't agree more...it's so impressive, it's scary.

6. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

7. Skandranon macrumors regular

8. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I've had my 500 for nearly a year now....I love it!! :p

9. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

TiBook

They are really nice and I would love to get one.

10. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Couldn't be happier!

I couldn't be happier with mine. I put an airport card in it, networked my Desktop, and have rarely physically used my desktop since.

Its mobile, its powerful, its cool looking...everything I want a computer to be. Maybe more!

Matthew

11. grrr223 thread starter macrumors regular

One other comment!

Damn! does this baby get hot!

I'd also just like to mention that Firewire is one of the greatest things ever invented. (I guess USB is pretty cool too). I just think the concept of never being able to run out of ports is awesome. On older computers, you had say a printer port, a modem port, and maybe a parallel port, plus the adb port for your keyboard and mouse. That would make adding tons of fun peripherals very difficult. At the moment, my parents have 2 printers, a keyboard, mouse, and scanner plugged into USB and a DV camera and a cd burner plugged into Firewire. Fortunately, the cards they bought have 4 usb and 2 firewire ports respectively, but between adding a usb hub and the fact that most firewire devices have 2 ports on them and you can daisy chain without hassle, all of this could have theoretically been done with one of each, or even just one (if they made firewire keyboards :)) Luckily, we didn't have the need for as many peripherals back then. It also makes adding things to a laptop sooo easy. You can have a usb hub sitting on your desktop and just plug that one cable into your ibook or Tibook, and BAM! you've instantly added a keyboard, mouse, printer, and possibly even a monitor (do they make USB montiors for macs?)

Long Live apple!

12. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

I agree on both counts, there was no 566, and the TiBook is COOL! I wish I had enough for one.....

13. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Errrmm, sorry to bust your bubble, but Intel develpoed USB.....