Wow! The Yamato.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Black&Tan, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Found this on the web yesterday, spent far too long checking out the various pictures (I think there's 81). It's amazing how much talent (and time) some people have.

http://album.nikon-image.com/nk/NK_AlbumPage.asp?un=97313&key=555537&m=0

The pictures are from the Kure museum in Japan, the city where the Yamato was built. Incidentally, there is a Japanese movie coming out this Christmas based on the Yamato - they built a life-size battleship from the bow to the bridge!

This seems like a blockbuster in Japan, but whether the rest of the world will see it remains to be seen.

http://www.yamato-movie.jp/

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Wow... not something I'd like to attack from the air.

3. Black&Tan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I think in its final destruction, something like 12 American airman/aircrews were lost and over 2000 Japanese sailors died.

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

<consults "The Road to Tokyo" from the Time-Life World War II series of books>

April 7, 1945. 280 US fighters, dive-bombers, and torpedo planes took off in search of a 10-ship Japanese force spotted by US submarines the day before. They thought, but didn't know for sure, that the Yamato might be one of their targets. She was 1/6 of a mile long, displaced 72,800 tons, had 9 18.1" guns that could fire a 3,200 pound shell 22.5 miles, and had over 100 anti-aircraft guns. She had the heaviest armor plate of ANY battleship... 16 inches thick in places.

She was first spotted by the American pilots at 12:32 PM. Unable to coordinate their attacks due to Japanese radio jamming, the Americans began what is widely considered the most confusing air-sea battle of all time. Over the next two hours, she was struck by 5 bombs and an amazing TEN torpedoes before finally succumbing to the American attack.

5. Black&Tan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I also read she was rarely at sea due to oil requirements. I believe she required sweet oil, which was in extremely short supply, and not commonly used in Japan. On her final voyage to Okinawa, she only had enough fuel for a one way voyage.

6. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Yeah, it says here that the Yamato was under orders, along with the other 9 ships in the group, to lure the Americans away from Honshu, beach themselves, and then fight the Americans to the death.

Obviously they didn't make it.

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It must have taken a lot to power that wave motion gun!

8. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

I've actually got a model of that ship! Bought a battleship model (fully constructed, about 3-4 ft. long) a few years ago at random, didn't know what it was. I thought it might have been that ship, now I know it's the Yamato.

9. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    :)