WOW. This surprised me.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lu0s3r322, Dec 6, 2006.

1. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

I was burning a cd using Toast and i tried lifting my mbp on the lower right hand corner and i pressed down on it and it totally distrupted the burning process. I would think that Apple built more support over the drive so this wouldnt happen. I think the drive is ok...

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

3. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

odd. maybe that's a safety feature so that if the laptop is falling, it wouldn't bust any disks in the optical drive?
    honestly, I have no idea what's up with that.
    rather fishy......

4. cardiac dave macrumors regular

cardiac dave

was same with my 12" iBook G4... the tolerances inside the drive must be pretty tight, as any motion can result in the edges of the disc rubbing something in there.

I never noticed any physical damage to discs though... just failed recordings.

5. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

i guess it's the price to pay when you own the thinnest 15.4" notebook available :D maybe the next gen could be made of titanium, wouldnt that be cool? :D

6. Radam macrumors member

When your burning a disk your not supposed to move your computer anyways, because it could mess up the disk.

7. scifiman macrumors member

I have seen this happen with all Apple laptops back to my TiBook in 2001. Basically if they are not level they will not rotate at a consistent speed and could coaster and if you press in the area above the drive you may interfere with the rotation of the cd.

8. adiosk8 macrumors regular

Yep mine does the same thing. Kick your desktop while its burning a cd, you will also get the same message

9. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

Yeah, I've learned that Apple has sensitive optical drives. When I burn something, I let my comptuer sit until it's done...I hate coasters!!:mad: