WoW + Tiger

Discussion in 'Games' started by Abulia, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Now that Tiger is starting to make an appearance let's get to the important stuff…does it work with Tiger? :D

Specifically, any speed improvements or compatibility issues? I don't know if Blizzard has made any comments regarding Tiger support, such as a patch ready to go on the 29th.

2. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

I would very much like to know this too.

Kumako, Draenor lvl 35 mage

3. Xenious macrumors 6502a

I was about to start a similar thread. Before I install tiger tomorrow night I want to be sure my WoW will work! :)

4. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

no real bugs and performancce is a bit better like
    1-3 fps

5. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

I just ordered a dual 2.0, 1g ram, and the 9650. I'll let you guys know how WoW is on that when I get it ;)

6. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

7. Barham macrumors regular

I just have to say that the previous poster has the coolest screen name ever.

Oh, and I can't wait to see how WoW runs in Tiger. Hopefully it'll be here tomorrow.

-Hasta

8. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

I have been playing WoW on Tiger for the last 3 months or so. There is no noticeable difference except for a minor speed improvement when playing in windowed mode (the only way to go).

Dual 2.0 (1.5gb), 9600.

Raeyn, 60 undead mage, Azgalor.

9. robo74 macrumors 6502

I would have to disagree with some here.

Dual 1.8 running tiger..

I noticed a big difference running the current version of WOW.
    I noticed it was faster as well as stable higher FPS.

My cousin on his emac 1.25G4 said the same thing...

So you have two votes here for WOW + tiger

Rob

10. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

Patch 1.3.1 and 1.4 both increased performance on Windows and Panther machines alike. We are talking about differences mainly due to OpenGL changes from Panther to Tiger of which there has been no noticeable change.

Saying this, OpenGL has changed significantly for the better in Tiger. But as with all Apple software the first step is to make it work, the second to make it better and the third to make it faster. Releases into the future will make things a lot faster, especially now that CoreImage and the entire Mac OS X interface ride on OpenGL.

11. robo74 macrumors 6502

I understand what you are saying, as well as what I am saying. I have Tiger on one drive and Panther on another. When I use wow on Tiger, its better. Faster and the FPS dont jump around as much. They are stable at higher numbers.

Then I also mentioned a Tiger install on a emac. The eMac was dogging when it came to certain area's of WOW. However, since the installation of Tiger, it is in fact better.

Perhaps it could be the machines..I dont know... I am just stating what I am experiencing.

Rob

12. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

You are probably seeing the lower latency due to the enhancements to the tcip/ip stack as well as the better kernel tasking. Framerates for me in a stable area (un'goro crater for instance) is no different from Panther to Tiger.

13. neilg macrumors member

Just out of interest, guys, what fps are you getting? Looking to upgrade to a new G5 soon and would love to see WoW in all its proper glory (getting less than 8 or 9 fps in Ironforge at the moment, it's so depressing!...).

14. robo74 macrumors 6502

Well, for someone reading this thread for info, I have given my 2 cents above. Apparently the better frame rates is impossible, and other users have the same exact setup and since they done see it, I am completely wrong.
    I guess since I see a difference in WOW as well as I like the new features in WOW... I have justified my $129.

Rob

15. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I unfortunalty have a windows machine as my main computer right now (saving up for a dual 2GH PM) and the game gets really choppy when a lot of people come around. I'm not sure why this is but I am actually looking forward to switching to the mac for this game and Tiger just excites me more. It just makes windows unhappy while it is running.... but then again everything makes windows unhappy when it is running.

16. Abulia thread starter macrumors 68000

Abulia

Mostly I just wanted to confirm that Tiger works w/ WoW. Any speed improvements are certainly welcome, but not actually expected (by me).

Thanks all for your input!

17. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

18. Abulia thread starter macrumors 68000

Abulia

Installed Tiger and played WoW this evening. Have a nice performance increase.

Mind you, it's not earth-shattering, but noticable lowering of stutter and dropped frames in high-population areas. Don't know if it's OpenGL, ATI X800 drivers or what.

19. onidavin macrumors newbie

I have actually had a performance decrease on my PowerBook. It doesn't seem to be using all of the RAM available to it. Any suggestions?

20. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

How much RAM do you have? And how much is it using?

I'm looking forward to a nice performance increase... when I get my copy of Tiger. :mad:

21. onidavin macrumors newbie

I figured out what was wrong, I am just a raging noob. I thought Spotlight had indexed my HD during the install, but it actually was performing it afterwards - which caused my game to take a serious hit. Now it's working great!

22. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

I'm still playing it on my RevB dualie 1.8 G5, with 1.25GB and a 9600XT under the hood. Every major iteration that claimed OpenGL improvements has made the game slightly faster (in the realm of 1-2FPS continuous improvement) and I'm getting far, far fewer lag disconnects even at high server traffic times. Tiger's changes have yet to break anything and have, as far as I can tell, improved stability, speed, and banished the random application crashes that would force me to the desktop.

As a side note... Does anyone hate that the server can't detect that you're gone as much as I do? I know my restart and relog times are pretty short, but it would seem like they could detect a dead link pretty easily.

23. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

Tiger upgrade made WoW run a bit more smoother. Now, when I turn quickly, things don't stutter and sputter. Things are still set on low, but runs smoother.

No exact FPS.

24. illitrate23 macrumors 6502

illitrate23

just to add - i've been playing WoW on both my mac mini and my powerbook
    the powerbook is 1.5ghz 15" with a 1gb ram with 128 graphics memory
    it ran very smoothly before, seems to run a tad smoother, but not very noticable.
    the mini, the graphics were never as good as on the powerbook, obviously, but it ran just fine
    now, under Tiger, whenever my desktop picture changes (which used to be every 5 seconds without a problem) everything freezes while the one picture fades to the next. even typing here on a web page, it'll stop displaying the characters i'm typing until the image has changed, and then it'll catch up
    and in WoW, the game stutters massively while this happens. so i've had to change my desktop picture to change every 30 minutes instead so it's less noticable

so i'm a little disapointed that something that worked fine in Panther (the desktop pictures cross-fading into each other) has become worse under Tiger and is affecting other systems. oh well

25. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

That's desktop changing is a very CPU intensive process, even though you may not realize it. It's no surprise to me that this occurs; I can't even believe it worked in Panther.