WoW Update 12.21.04

Discussion in 'Games' started by Laslo Panaflex, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Today there is a significant patch for WoW, which now enables vertex shaders again on the mac client:

The complete details of the patch can be found here:
    http://wow.allakhazam.com/news/sdetail4841.html?story=4841

Haven't had a chance to test any graphical improvements, since I am at work. Has anyone else out there downloaded the patch and noticed any improvements?

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

mmm, updating goodness. Downloading it now... Hoping to see some nice performance gains (SP 1.8 Ghz G5 with Radeon 9600).

I also think the balance changes in this patch are a good thing.

3. kparvez macrumors member

patch download problems

Not sure why, but whenever there is a patch released, and i login, WoW crashes on me consistently (i.e. when 'handshaking') and I can't download the patch. I send in error reports... usually after a couple of hours, the problem goes away and i can download the patch. Was always curious why that happens? (note: WoW is installed on a 12 inch 1Ghz Powerbook).

4. shortyjj macrumors regular

rob, is this the promised solution to our framerate nightmares?

i've never complained, as WoW has always impressed me on my 12" 1.33, but any enhancement would be gravy.

also, to blizzard: my girlfriend will be calling you soon, demanding you give me my life back

5. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Can't wait to get home and try the new patch on my Dual 2.0 G5 and 6800 Ultra!

6. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

My server is still down, so I can't say for absolutely certain... But I see no reason to expect noticeably improved frame rates. *Assumes you meant frame rate and not frame right*

7. beefcake macrumors 6502

I haven't done a whole lot of testing, but on my 1Ghz Powerbook, I usually get about 18-22 fps outdoors. In the minute or two I played after the patch, I was getting 28-30 fps. Seems promising; hope it stays up.

8. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Well, they promised increased performance that would go hand-in-hand with the 10.3.7 drivers. So, I would definitely be expecting notably improved frame rates.

9. kparvez macrumors member

problem resolved.

I found out the problem. I had installed WoW on one of my profiles, and was trying to update it by starting WoW on another profile. When i tried starting WoW on the original profile, the downloader, and everything was working perfectly. hehe. so in other words, disregard my previous post.
    Cheers.

10. ckelley macrumors regular

Do you have a 30" to go along with that 6800? :p

11. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

12. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

PM 1.8 G5 w/ 2.5 GB memory and 9600 video card on 10.3.7. If the patch increased my performance I can't tell. [Edit: Strike that, turning on the Vertex options did give me a small bump. See other problems below.]

What >I< can tell is that now there is his HIGHLY annoying "sparkle/speckle" effect going on. It's looks like random texture map tears. (I'm on an LCD monitor w/ DVI so no, it isn't vertical sync refresh.)

I've played with just about every combination of settings over the past hour. Nothing affects this "sparkling" EXCEPT turning on Shader Effects / Full Screen Glow.

The only problem is that this softens your visual image and textures that the game looks HORRIBLE. (Seriously, why is this effect even in the game?)

So, one step forward for the Mac client, TWO steps back.

Curious who else has this problem.

- Don

13. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I did notice a small performance increase turning on the Vertex options (?). Shader effects only add more "gee-wiz" features; they don't speed the game up as far as I can tell. (Water effects add very little, full screen glow is just BAD, and the death effect...glowing when you die doesn't stike me as worth the performance hit.)

I still have most of my video options turned all the way down or nearly there. Suffice it to say that the Mac client performance is still lacking. Start the countdown for the next patch, I suppose. :(

- Don

14. mgio macrumors newbie

I just downloaded this patch. I didn't really notice any difference at all. My performance is still the same - 17fps outside standing still, 11fps turning around, 13-14fps during normal walking. (See the other WoW thread in this forum for more). I'm still pretty disappointed. I enabled the "vertex shader" option, but I didn't notice any difference at all. I can get maybe 2fps more by dropping everything to the lowest setting, but it isn't really worth not being able to see the terrain in front of you.

Some things I did notice - more texture tears that weren't there before. Also, when on a gryphon flying from Stormwind to Ironforge, when I went over the water, the water would "flash" to a bright plaid multi-colored texture sometimes.

In seems more bugs were introduced and no performance improvedment. Frankly, I'd rather go back to the previous patch.

I did a system update on Saturday. I noticed that that did give me, maybe a 3-5 fps increase, but maybe that was in my imagination.

15. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Getting anywhere between 20-80 FPS now outdoors!

Getting 50-60 FPS flying!

Blizz rocks the doghouse...

6800 users rejoice!

16. Quobobo macrumors member

This is kind of depressing, tigerclaw in the Blizzard forums was talking about much better performance in Patch 2.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?FN=wow-tech-support&T=48341&P=4

17. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

I must say I an extremely happy with the new patch. Framerates are even higher than before with just 10.3.7 WITH everything at max and all shaders on! Good job blizzard! The holiday stuff in game is really nice too. Snowball fight anyone?

ps. I'm getting anywhere between 20-50fps with everything on and maxed out. 1.6ghz G5, 1.5gb ram, oem radeon 9800 pro.

18. Laslo Panaflex thread starter macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

What resolution do you run it at? I have to run WoW at 1920X1200 becuase I have 23" display, and any lower looks like poo.

I get 14-20fps with everything turned down. I can't wait to get home and try the patch, and of course, play WoW.

19. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Performance is a little better for me. I maxed everything and turned on every shader option. I seem to be getting 20-30 fps on my Dual 2.0 G5 and 6800 Ultra. I run at 1680 X 1050. It still seems to be quite jerky and actually freezes for seconds sometimes. My Dell laptop, which I consider to be a lesser computer runs smooth as silk.

BTW, my Mac patch download took 9 minutes. My PC is stuck at 15.31MB after about 2 hours.

20. rbarris macrumors 6502

Based on feedback I have been seeing, I would encourage you to turn off the full screen glow effect, and relaunch the game.

Also, I really have to say that running at the highest terrain distance setting is just asking for trouble smoothness-wise. The amount of work the engine has to do goes up with the square of that radius value. Try it at half-max and see if you notice some improvement.

21. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

1280x1024. Terrain distance is at half for me. Otherwise, everything is max

22. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I will try disabling the glow effect and see what happens. I don't really want to have to lower any of the detail settings since my laptop with a lesser GPU handles it easily. I may just have to get used to the fact that my Mac will probably never be a gaming computer.

EDIT: Well, my laptop is getting a good 40-50fps without any jerkiness or anything. I guess I won't be playing it on Mac. Too bad I guess...

23. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Great news!

What are your settings at?

(I am going to be away from my baby for another week :()

24. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Those performace quotes were taken around Stormwind, Westfall, Loch Modan. All settings were maxed at 12x1024. When swimming was only when frame rates sucked.

On the other end of the world (and on a different server) at the Crossroads where there's always lots of people, I was getting 18-25 FPS. Once i spin around twice, there's no chop and it's completely acceptable. Anywhere from 25-50 in Mulgore and Barrens. And when i'm out doing stuff, it's not bad at all. Flying is a joy now, whereas before it was an embarassment. I'm only getting 0-10 FPS more on my PC now, whereas before it was 20-35 FPS better.

The game has reached the stage of complete playability for me. it's awesome. Talk about a slick patch...

People with dp2.5's should be seeing even better performance than me...

25. rbarris macrumors 6502

I'll be honest with you, you've been quite prolific in pointing out where we could do better and I have probably seen the majority of your posts on this topic.. and it was pretty motivational.

I still believe we have a ways to go with reducing memory footprint - the #1 cause of choppiness on base spec machines is VM swapping, based on some tests I have been doing this week. So there are still improvements to make, but it is good to get some confirmation of progress from the user base.

So, thanks for taking the time to provide feedback - pro or con.