Wow, used 2GB data with netflix 5 movies in one day

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aneftp, Apr 17, 2011.

1. macrumors 68040

Well I really was just trying to test the battery life of my iphone 4 since I just got it replaced with a refurbished.

So I test battery life with netflix 3G streaming. Got about 5 hours of battery life until it went dead. My previous iphone 4 got around 6 hours of continous slingbox streaming. So battery life is ok with the refurb. I ran the test again and iphone 4 died at around the same 5 hour mark.

When I went to check my data usage this morning. So streaming 10 hours (about 5 netflix movies), I consumed 2GB of data. That's like 200MB of data for each hour of netflix streaming.

So I understand how some people can consume 10-20 GB of data each month with netflix streaming on their iphone. I didn't watch any of the movies, I just tested it to drain my battery life. At most I only stream 3 or 4 netflix movies a month and that's only on my Apple TV at home.

Now those using 100GB of data....they are probably tethering to their computers.

2. macrumors 6502

Who in their right mind streams Netflix on 3G

3. macrumors 68040

I do. The picture quality seems just as good as watching over wifi. With wifi I get no buffering at all, but with 3G a slight buffer every once in a while in areas with good 3G signal. I have watched more movies on 3G than on wifi.

4. macrumors 65816

I think the better question is who uses Netflix on their iPhone with Wifi?

5. macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I do and im on Verizon. No lag at all.

6. macrumors P6

-aggie-

or who wants to watch that many movies on an iPhone screen.

7. macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Nothing else to do on an airplane :rolleyes:

8. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Exactly:)

9. macrumors 68040

rwilliams

That's what I was thinking. It's great to have it available on the iPhone, but if I was going to do some serious movie watching on the go, I'd buy an iPad.

10. macrumors 65816

How can you stream over 3G while on a flight?

11. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Agreed.

12. macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I fly to and from Newark int. You can guarantee spending at least 30 minutes on the ground waiting to takeoff or taxing to the gate.

13. macrumors regular

Since I'm a consultant and I travel about 3 weeks a month, and hotel wifi is about as useful as a 56k connection, I use 3G for all my Netflix and slingbox streaming, it's really my only option. Which is also why I rack up 9-12gigs a month without tethering!

14. macrumors 68040

I do. I have unlimited and the quality is as good as wifi for me so why wouldn't I? I mean... I have unlimited for a reason ya know.

Funny how everyone quoted the same person.

15. macrumors 6502

benjayman2

Sometimes I watch/listen to stand up comedy shows from netflix while I'm driving.

16. macrumors demi-god

Ouch!!! I'll keep far away from Chicago..... :cool:

17. macrumors 6502

benjayman2

I still find it better then texting and driving. I don't really watch though unless I'm at a stop. BTW 7+ years driving without an accident and or ticket *knocks on wood*

18. macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Once I get around to wringing the details of the family netflix plan out of my brother (he has frineds on it it because he thinks it's "his" even though he doesn't pay for it) and such, that's how I'd use it.

That "the free wifi is crap" guy apparently has never tried to use the free wifi at my job (can we say "fails to load forum threads reliably"?)

19. macrumors regular

:eek:

how many years driving and watching movies tho..?:D

20. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

+1

I got an iPad because the screen was too small. Heck one of the reasons why I opted to upgrade my Nexus One to a Droid x was because the screen was larger so I could watch movies. In reality, even that screen was too small to watch

21. macrumors G5

yg17

If by waiting for takeoff, you mean you're on the plane with the door closed and in line on the taxiway, you're not supposed to have your phone on.

22. macrumors regular

or who wants to tell people how to use their phones?

23. macrumors 6502

Well I guess a few do, but the real issue on this is the impact on everyone else. This is why all the carriers have increasingly looked for ways to stick it to anyone that uses over 2GB a month.

24. macrumors 603

heisenberg123

who is surprised 5 movies = 2GB?

25. macrumors 6502a

I could never watch a movie on my phone.. let alone several... and definitely not several in one day. Hell, I couldn't watch several in one day anywhere. Get outside... go for a hike!