WOW - using a powerbook in mc / bwl

Discussion in 'Games' started by mikeyd, Oct 31, 2005.

1. mikeyd macrumors newbie

hello all. i have been playing a mage and have been regularly attending mc and bwl with my PC. my PC has broke down lately and now i am forced to use my 1ghz powerbook g4 with 768mb of ram.

if i turn the settings all to low with sound and music off, will i be able continue going to mc and bwl ?

i am interested in hearing what your mac experiences are for these 40 man raids. also did you guys use teamspeak or other communication program and not lag ?

ps : all my applications are off except for usb overdrive. which i need to keep that pesky mouse acceleration away. is there anyway to tweak my system for a better gaming experience ?

2. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Ah you could not have picked a better time to post this as I was just thinking about it :)

I run wow on a 1ghz iBook with 768 of ram. As a mage you should be fine because you are on ranged/cleanse duty. I know for me I can't tank allot of the encounters on my iBook because FPS lag gets really bad. You should be ok. Its often very easy to be lagging and not doing anything in MC
    ;)

3. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

i would recommend using sype. I play WOW on my cpu in my sig. and have very good experience with skype. This is my preference hope it helps. :cool:

4. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Yeah but getting 40 Arrogant PC user to use skype is not easy at all. If you guild uses TS use Teamspeex (goole it). I use it and it works great.

5. kparvez macrumors member

WoW on a powerbook

I've been playing on a 1Ghz powerbook with 512 RAM> i tank just fine in MC/BWL. use CTMOD's Viewport to reduce the size of the window that needs to be rendered. then it's smooth sailing.

Cheers

6. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Just looked into viewport looks amazingly useful but alas it won't expand right on DL do you know of another place to get it?

7. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I stopped playing out of general lack of interest in the game, but I logged many hours in MC...it's not that enjoyable, but it's doable.

Powerbooks with 64 MB+ of graphics memory stand up much better than iBooks with 32 mb in MC. I wish I had gotten Viewport before, it really could have made a difference. :(

Tips if you're having trouble:
    --Turn names off.
    --Limit the number of mods you have on-screen at any given time (if you only have to heal groups 1-4, then don't have groups 5-8 on screen.
    --Look at the ground.
    --Try to face away from the pack when possible.
    --Bend over and cry during lava packs.

8. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

qft

9. mikeyd thread starter macrumors newbie

argh, from all your comments this seems like it will be ouchies for a couple hours :|

ah well, at least it will be playable! :)

10. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Yeah its not to bad unless you have more then a few adds.

11. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

LOL. :)

We have a bunny and it will look away if it's upset with you. If they can't see you, you don't exist (in their mind).

Mikey what are the specs of your PC?