WOW - Whats the Big Deal With it?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Philgr, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Philgr macrumors regular

Pretty new to the Mac Scene and looking for a Game for my new iMac

I have been away from the Games scene for a couple of years (New addition to the Family !)

I used to waste my time away on Counter Strike etc..., never really got into the God type games,

Have had a play with warcraft but got bored with it pretty quickly i always fall into the method of raise large army as quick as can and try to win with brute force.

So my question is whats the big deal with WOW and why should i give it a go ?

2. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

i think the title of this thread just about sums it up really :)

although other people may differ :eek:

3. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Because it's the biggest, hottest game in the online universe at the moment and it's about to get even better with the new expansion pack.

4. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

You need to try it before that question can be answered...some people think it's a fun way to pass the time, some seem to think it's much better than real life, some think it's a bore. See if you can get someone to give you the free trial, and decide for yourself.

Personally, I thought it was a lot of fun up to lvl 60, but I find the endgame boring.

5. stevo86 macrumors member

i dunno but i'm comepletely hooked... it's kinda scary. just picked it up at the start of september and i play anywhere from 2-6 hours a day... depends on my free time with work and college.

i don't know if it's possible to play this game casually, so beware. If you don't want to be dependent on it then i suggest looking at a different title :p.

I wouldn't say it's better than real life though, whenever there's something to do WoW takes a back seat, no q's asked.

6. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Warcraft and WoW are nothing alike....in Warcraft building your camp and raising an army to go fight was pretty much the game. WoW involves none of that (other than high lvl instances where you need 40 "real" people together to complete). Also it takes awhile to get going in WoW. I think that maybe around lvl 15 or so is when I got hooked :)

7. Gasu E. macrumors 68040

Gasu E.

Pretty simple, really:

- it's a highly immersive experience, and

- it's extremely social

It's the combination of both that makes WOW a winner. If one of those aspects doesn't ring your bell, WOW won't impress you. It won't particularly challenge your brain or dexterity.

8. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

I actually just bought this game about 1 week ago, and i think on average i've been playing about 2 hours each day. I play late, around 10 til midnight so its after I go to school/work. It doesnt sit too well with my gf, but oh well I guess she rather have my playing at home, then going out with my freinds and getting crazy. There is a 14-day trial version that you can purchase for about $2 dollars, and I suggest going with that instead of buying the full version (even though its only $20 now), so you can see what its exactly about. Keep in mind that to play online, you need to pay $15 per month, which doesnt sit too well in my stomach. All in all, its a fun game, that takes time and patience to progress.

9. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

It's an amazingly enjoyable game that's suitable for everyone from the very casual gamer like myself to super-engrossed-play-24x7 types. It's a whole ever-changing ever-growing universe with lots of people to meet, things to do and beautiful places to explore. It's just one of those games that comes along once in a blue moon.

10. CJM macrumors 65816

CJM

I've been following this game's development since before the initial closed beta and let me tell you, it is certainly one amazing, evolving universe. I Picked up my copy at release yet I was only able to play it a few months later (due to my computer) and have been engrossed ever since. With the highly anticipated expansion pack coming out, generating so much well deserved hype, it can only get better.

Gameplay is excellent, the sound is fantastic with some truely beautiful musical scores, and there is always something to do.

For the current give-away pricing, its certainly a great buy.

(Be warned though, it leaves little time for playing other games)

11. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

Butters...go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you...

12. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Then end game is much more exciting when you are in one of the top guilds on your server and raiding Moltan Core, Blackwing Lair, and AQ40 on a weekly basis. When most of your guild has full tier 2 gear and uber weapons with full enchants, the game gets a lot more interesting.

We get a day or two to farm gold for our repair bills though and yes, that is boring.

13. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I agree. Though at first the end game experience can be frustrating. I really enjoy leveling up and being the "healer" for groups of 5 on quests throughout the world, but that mostly goes away when you hit level 60. Though you can still do quests but you earn gold instead of experience. Once you learn the instances and start getting some epic gear though the end game becomes fun.

If you start playing this game and end up getting a character to level 60 you really need to find a good end game guild. To get in one you may even have to apply on their website. Try not to develop a bad reputation b/c if a member in their guild has ever grouped with you and you didn't do the "right" things and created a bad experience for them you may have trouble getting into that guild. End game raiding is impossible without a guild.....you will spend all your time looking for groups to do that and finding 40 random people is not fun. Around level 20 you may find a guild to stay in until you do hit level 60. This guild will allow you to level up with others and develop some "socialization" within the game.

14. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

How does it run on your system? :)

15. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well personally i know quite a few who stopped playing after 1-2 months at being level 60

some perhaps hold out 3 months but if you are stuck in a numerous class like mage it's even more annoying since you essentially have visit instances all over again ...

i found instances already annoying at lvl 40 and thus i stopped around that... though i tested out a lot of different classes and professions up untill lvl 30 or something like that

i found it to become more and more work instead of fun in the later levels .. less about the adventure itself but more about leveling up as fast as possible while getting the best gear

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

do people ever wonder no offense that all the time they put into video games (which gives you no real skill) you could be like an awesome guitarist, pool shark whatever making a fortune.

oh well i guess im guilty of being on macrumors buts thats maybe 30min a day lol

I only play video games when I have friends around and its usually like ncaa football when we all want to play a tourney lol.

i dont have the patience for any type of game other than sports games. Like halo....too long for me to beat so i give up lol

17. takao macrumors 68040

takao

on the other side i don't have the patience for learning guitar even though i would like to able to play it i would rather reunited spain, get into ww2 dogfights over leningrad in 1942,play card games online with friends, go through some fantastic adventure or play some singstar (where i lose normally)
    i rather like to do lots of different things than the same over and over just to master it ;)

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

good point just food for thought that i have since my brother plays his xbox like 5hrs a day and it got me thinking about that.

see i would love to get good at the guitar but once again its the practice that sucks haha. I mean i have the ability, just my brain doenst know how to control my fingers lol. i need a real life matrix type learning thing. just download to my brain and im set