WOW! Working, Real, Keneda's Stingray Motorcycle from Akira

Discussion in 'Community' started by srobert, Apr 5, 2004.

1. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

street legal? not exactly my cup of tea... harley vrod, now THATS a bike :D :D :D :D

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

First powersuits, then giant robots, now this... I just hope evil city-destroying psychics aren't next on the list.

Funny, it doens't look nearly as cool in real life as in art... I wonder if the proportions are a little different to make it useable.

4. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Yes. Proportions are not exactly the same. Front wheel is much smaller for example. True, it's not as cool as the original art but I remember thinking how nice that bike looked when I first saw it in the anime. (that was back in the eighties if memory serves me well)

5. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i saw that a few days ago and that has to be one of the sweetest things i've ever seen... i want that bike.

6. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

I wonder if they included the reverse gear on the bike like in the amime. I found taht quite original. :)

7. Wash!! macrumors 6502

Originally the bike

Was to be build by BMW along with the others used in the movie and in the manga graphic novel.

Don't know what happen but there where some real working prototypes but BMW never put them on the market.. btw Akira the movie is consider the "Fantasia" of japanese animation for the cutting edge animation technics that were use in the movie.

8. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Aren't they making a live action remake sometime soon? I thought I heard about it sometime around 2001.

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

That's sweet! And how about this for fans of bigger motors ;)

10. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

Looks like a high tech version of the recumbent bikes I see engineering types riding the bike lanes from time to time. All it needs is a bright orange flag attached to the back.

11. Wash!! macrumors 6502

This bike is a modest attent to the one in the movie

The bike in the movie if it could be built would be the hottest thing on the road, I have a couple of books on the movie with character development and mechanicals drawings, they are amazing the amount of detail that was put it. The creator of Akira is a accomplished illustrator and an engineer

12. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Then all you need is someone to scream "Tetsuo!!!" at intermittently, and you'll be all set. :D

13. Wash!! macrumors 6502

14. qubit macrumors newbie

Here's a link to a Japanese article which shows a more accurately-modeled version of the bike at the Tokyo motorcycle show - once in Japanese then again translated; the translated version doesn't always manage to load the images for me, hence the two URLs:
    Japanese Text
    English Translation

-Q