Wow Xp users do try

Discussion in 'macOS' started by liketom, Jun 26, 2005.

1. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

stumbling over google looking for x86 os x and i came accross this fantastic website lol

http://osx.portraitofakite.com/

i love the way they do try to make xp look like tiger 10.4 lol

why don't they just buy a mac if they want os x sooo bad hehe

:rolleyes:

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

3. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

It's a Gates sponsored template for Longhorn. Stupid Gates.

4. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I don't care for their software but their site is sweet.

5. liketom thread starter macrumors 601

liketom

i like the spotlight search lol google sweetness , now what will they do for dashboard ? ;)

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Pretty remarkable, even if it's really just "Windows dressing." But aren't they treading all over Apple's trademarks?

7. liketom thread starter macrumors 601

liketom

well maybe ..
    but : user downloads it- runs it- likes the look of it - discovers how crap it runs on xp -sacks pc -buys mac and virtual pc - then runs xp from mac

result !
    :D

8. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

That is really cool. Only a matter of time before Apple's legal team comes a-knockin', unfortunately...

9. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

10. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

because they designed their website which should look like the mac os x?

11. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Early on, Apple were leaning on people who made Aqua-like skins for Windows. They seem to have slowed down on that front, but it's anyone's guess as to why (who knows, maybe they decided that the OS X envy was a good thing).

12. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

I'm typing this on a Windows PC. My iMac G5 is arriving on Tuesday or Wednesday. :)

I'm a product of the halo effect. I've owned four iPods... before I ordered my iMac I was all into the Aqua-emulation craze, and it hasn't slowed down. Try http://aqua-soft.org for more information.

And Aqua-emulation is getting pretty accurate. There are Finder clones, docks, widget programs, desklet programs, and more, all for Mac emulation. Here's a desktop from my Dell laptop a little while ago:

http://img235.echo.cx/my.php?image=untitled8bd.png

Yes, the dock is missing. I turned it off to make way for Winamp. This is why you see programs at the top of the taskbar. The dock I use, RKLauncher, can minimize to the dock as in OS X.

And yes, there are no left-sided glyphs, but that can be achieved with a program called WindowBlinds. Yes, the desktop icons are too small, but that and placeable/customizable labels can be fixed with a program called AveDesk. Really, us Windows users have pushed ourselves so far that we might as well buy a Mac, which is what I've done. But most are too scared.

Also, there are ways to make the menu bar work, with a program called ObjectBar, and other in-development programs.

The Spotlight bar you see in my screenshot searches Google. It's a Konfabulator widget that resides in the top left corner of the screen, over top of the icon in the visual style. When you click it, the Spotlight bar appears, as in OS X. Search matches are displayed in a pinstripe dialog box below it, just like in Tiger.

Also, that site - so many people use that system pack. You can install and remove anything you wish, pick and choose, and it does a lot of things. It installs the Flurry screensaver, changes system icons, installs visual styles, installs official OSX sounds (such as the startup gong), among other things.

Enjoy laughing to yourselves.

13. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

macs cost money. Some ppl are stuck in a windoze world and but they prefer OS X. Heck if I thought I could get away with it i'd install something like that on my work machine. Not all windoze ppl are bad ppl.

14. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

How easy is that to uninstall? Is it one pack or 20? I think i might want to mess around with it for a night.

15. generationxwing macrumors 6502

generationxwing

Well, for starters some of us don't have $2400 to get a Mac. I'm in the middle of saving up, and I'm rocking Apple skins right now, until I can get my iBook.

16. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

iBooks cost $2400? Yikes! ;)

17. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I saw this today, it is very impressive amount of web programing. Any idea what kind of server technology they use to do that?

18. generationxwing macrumors 6502

generationxwing

CDN dollars, for what I want including the Apple Protection Plan.

19. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Sorry, I guess once you start adding extras it gets up there. 12" or 14"?

20. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Splendid!

I was using this to get my 10.4 fix (I really do miss my PB.. I have a new GarageBand thing I want to try!)
    and guess what crashes.

I thought it was kind of funny... something crashes while I'm looking at a site that's supposed to look like OS X.

hehe. Stupid windows.

Attached Files:

• os x.JPG
      os x.JPG
      File size:
      50.4 KB
      Views:
  21. risc macrumors 68030

risc

That's one amazing website, I downloaded the software and installed it on my PC here at work, but it runs way too slow here so I removed it. Oh well maybe one day I'll be allowed a Power Mac as my work desktop. ;)

22. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Extremely. It's one pack, and it comes with an uninstaller. When you install, you're allowed to pick and choose through categories of items that the installer contains. It has all of them selected by default, just deselect the ones you don't want. When you uninstall using the uninstaller, you can do the same thing. Select the ones you want to uninstall.

Please note, that pack does not contain everything I have in my screenshot there.

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Can it do all the quirky graphics stuff like OSX does? For example, can it do the "genie effect" when you minimize a window? I heard that Windows can't do it because of the way it handles graphics, meaning that intensive tasks aren't handled by the gpu, and so the cpu has to do it, and it slows everything down due to the CPUs non-specialized way of handling graphics related maths.

Or its all propaganda and I'm just making a fool of myself. :eek:

24. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

The "genie" effect you talk about can be achived with a program called WindowFX, that can do a lot of things, as well, including OSX-like window shadows, which can also be achieved by other programs. Off the top of my head, here's a list of programs I've heard of and used that are geared towards Aqua emulation.

WindowBlinds < - - visual style program, can use left-sided glyphs (traffic lights)
    StyleXP < - - another visual style program
    WinRoll < - - similar to the windowshade haxie
    YzDock < - - dock, C&D'ed by Apple but many people still use it
    RKLauncher < - - dock, combines YzDock and ObjectDock functionality
    ObjectDock < - - dock by Stardock
    MobyDock < - - another dock
    ObjectBar < - - menu bar emulator
    ObjectDesktop < - - desktop customization suite
    DesktopX < - - desktop customization suite
    IconPackager < - - icon customizer
    CandyXP < - - icon customizer, imitates CandyBar
    Flyakite OSX < - - system pack, as described above
    YzShadow < - - window & taskbar shadows, similar to OSX
    YzToolbar < - - changes native Windows toolbars, but the program below is MUCH better
    Styler < - - excellent program, can make explorer toolbars exactly the same as Finder toolbars.
    BzFinder < - - Finder clone
    Looca < - - Finder clone
    NeXplorer < - - Finder clone
    WindowFX < - - window customization, includes minimization effects, shadows, etc.
    Firefox < - - can be themed to look like Safari
    AveDesk < - - puts desklets and widgets on your desktop
    Konfabulator < - - many Dashboard widgets ported to this program, this program was around for OSX before Tiger. A Dashboard dock is also in the works.
    Multi-Plugin < - - iTunes customizer

... including OSX-like skins for many programs, like several Mail.app skins for Thunderbird, iTunes skins for Winamp, Safari skins for Firefox, plus oodles of visual styles for Windows and WindowBlinds.

Sad, isn't it.

25. liketom thread starter macrumors 601

liketom

Bless em hehe