Wow!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Anderson, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So with all the recent 500 posters posting their '500' and getting 'tars, I did a little checking and its amazing how prolific the posting has become recently. Now, I'm not a old skool member, but I do remember when eyelike art was the top poster with less than 2000 posts. Now in order to be in the Top 10 Posters list you have to have over 2000 posts.

And there are 60 members with over 500 posts, that's a lot of avatars. I'm looking forward in December to see what happens at the 2nd Avatar Contest.

:D

D

2. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

ya so many members over 500 posts now :D, at some winblowz website i was the only other person above 2000 posts (n its about 13000 members...all n00bs too) for a few months....
    i was planning on my 500th post in november when i get my new puter but i guess the last 100 flew by within the last week...

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

ah...yes...how glad I am that the "posting race" is over... ;)

It is quite amazing how many 500+ posters there are now around here. The Demi-Gods have also grown pretty decently...I'd like to see more of us around though.

So when's the next avatar contest duke? :D

4. Zenith macrumors 6502

Zenith

hehehe... I'm one of those exceptions with an avatar and less (much less) than 500 posts. And since I'm just a regular poster with some graphics skills it's great to show off a decent 'tar without having to struggle with posting a lot. :D

5. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Tis rather freaky. I never thought anyone would have 6000. There was a time when I thought that I would never have 500 posts :rolleyes:

6. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

You know, I've noticed quite a few newbies around here. I wonder what it'll be like when they start racing to get their avatars... Hopefully we won't get tons of useless threads and polls, and hopefully it won't flood the server...

7. szark macrumors 68030

szark

I am truly amazed at how fast some people have grown their post counts during the months that I've been around. They certainly have a lot more time to spend here than I do! :)

I'll get my avatar someday...

8. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Even though avatar status is a covetted prize, it still doesn't really have that much of an effect on post quality in general, with quality far outpacing quantity in most cases.

And the next avatar contest will be in December. Probably a couple weeks before Xmas - something good to keep our selves occupied while we start all the over speculation on what's going to happen in 2003. I'm sure we'll see tons more entries - I'm guessing 150 or so, basically twice as much as the first one.

And given the current state of 'tardom, the competetion will be fierce. Also, with that many we'll have to come up with a better way to judge them. I'm thinking cull the masses and come up with 15 or so in each catagory and have members vote.

D

9. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

I didn't even realize it was a race.

Oh well, I'll just pretend like I won and it will all be all right.

10. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Its not...

And what happened to the 'tar?

11. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I was pretty prolific there for a while. I jumped in on conversations that I either knew something about, had an opinion on, or could add something intelligent. But, it just seems like there has been fewer times when I have anything to add.

BTTM isn't as active, and he was one of my main adversaries. Alpha's gone, and he was fun to torment. Sigh....

I'm still said I missed the original bad boys of macrumors.

I would have had fun with them.

Now, all there is to argue with is people I like or a bunch of 15 year olds.

12. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

It took me less time than I thought to get the last 100 posts under my belt - even though I signed on before a lot of +500 posters did. I'm actually nervous about getting to 500 - soon I'll have to come up with something creative as an avatar. Better start to get those juices flowing...

There are many days when I log onto MR, but don't have anything to say. So, rather than say something pointless, I'll bide my time until I can input something to the discussion, and give a nice long reply (yawn!).

Gawd - if it was on word-count alone, then I'd be right up there!

13. King Cobra macrumors 603

I think whoever has the most free time on their hands has probably done a lot of sh** with Photoshop and may be willing to show it off in this contest.

You said this contest would be in December, duke? By then there will probably be a lot of soaring rumors or opinions about this processor/that processor/f*** Motorola, or what have you.

I know that there was a quick discussion about what categories should be hosted for the avatar elsewhere, but how are the catagories going to be decided and stuff?

You can tell by my incoherence that I probably won't be deciding the winners of the contest, or choosing the categories. :D

14. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Im on my way there, I will be at 300 any day now. That just leaves 200 more - just :D. Im not a very avid poster but I post 3-5 times a day pretty much every day. 200 in a week, I can tell you now, wont happen.

15. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

there sure is a lot of competition on these boards.

16. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Can't we all just be content to have under 500 for a while?

I think the fastest I have ever seen anyone get an avatar was hitman. krossfyter and KC are also very prolific posters. duke is just insane in his posting.

17. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Jello and I had it out a couple days in a row late spring, early summer. He managed to knock off more than 200 posts in a 24 hr period - I think I did around 160 at the same day. Ah, the good old days.....when I didn't have much going on at work and comments were flying like crazy.

KC - determining the winners of the contest might be a little difficult if we get a lot of them. What will probably happed is that the judges select a number of outstanding entries and those will be post in a poll and we'll let the rest of MacRumors decide.

D

18. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I honestly didn't think the rush for 500 was as bad as it was a few months ago...

although I can live with the satisfaction in knowing I was the first member to receive an avatar :D

19. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Those were the days, I hit my 500 when eye had just hot his 2000, If I recall I was in the top 10 posters :D , those were the days :D

20. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

That is just insane. Dont you get bored... I mean posting here can be fun, but not for 5 hours... The most amount of time I have ever spent posting has been ~1 hour. I guess im just no 'a prolific poster', right now I am a tired poster, I think I might take a nap. But I should actually study, I have a CompSci test tomorrow :D, ez though... NEways, that is just insane that one can post that much...

21. vniow macrumors G4

I got to 500 pretty quick, (could it be cuz of my 11.81 posts per day? Nah...) now I'm already at 803!:eek:
    Now about that demi-goddess thing.....

22. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Its not done anymore - but when a few of us got together it really was crazy - and it can't be done unless someone else or a few more help. What ends up happening is it turns into somewhat of an AIM log, but a little more than just that.

I don't remember what we were talking about, but all the factors were in alignment at that time.

I don't think it will be done again any time soon, if at all. But we'll see what happens next summer....

D

23. King Cobra macrumors 603

>(eyelikeart) although I can live with the satisfaction in knowing I was the first member to receive an avatar :D

You just had to pick the dreaded Kewpie doll face, didn't you? :eek:

>Now about that demi-goddess thing.....

...Once you jump in, you won't want to jump out... :eek:

I still find 160 or 200 posts in a 24 hour period outrageously ridiculous. I know I have done close to 60 a day, but I guess when you're in a BS'ing mode, you're obviously in a BS'ing mode. :p

24. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Ive only been here like 3 closer to 4 months and i already have close to 500 posts (i also was gone for one month, so i have had about 2.5 months of exposure) Thats preety good, right? Well i guess i kinda came at a good time. everyone was doing their MWNY predictions... hehe, remember those.... yeah good times. Ill have my tar by the end of the month of september (maybe into early october if i slack off a tad).... mark my words...

25. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i'm glad the avatar rush is over, it really took the fun out of the place for me... i refuse to be hurried just to get a few pixels in cyberspace.

plus i say enough stupid things as it is, i don't need all those extra posts :)

i'll probably be to 500 within the next month or so... i have to admit i've given a 'tar thought, and the one i want would seem like a ripoff of an existing member (eye)... tho it would have literary reference..

ah well :)
    pnw