Wow!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by spakle, Jan 4, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

These are the new units from XM satellite radio. Apple better start working with XM and Sirius or they might eventually have a problem on their hands. Units can play sat radio, play mp3's, and you can mark a song and later hook up with Napster to purchase and download. Satellite radio completely Rocks! Apple should be apart of this.

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I like the look on those models and plan to purchase a satellite radio this spring.

3. macrumors 68030

.Andy

One man's Wow! is another man's Barf....how would an ipod look with a great whopping licorice arial?

Of interest how popular is satellite radio? Or is it another digital TV where it has to be rammed down people's throats for uptake?

4. macrumors G4

Chundles

What's satellite radio?:confused: ;) We don't have that new-fangled work-of-the-devil satellite radio down here. Hell, HDTV barely raises an interest here - that's what happens when all the good stuff costs waaay too much.

5. macrumors 68030

.Andy

I gather it's a *sparkly new* radio distribution system that broadcasts the same crap as before ;). Although this time snappy marketing has convinced people to pay a monthly subscription for something they can otherwise get for free, in addition to purchasing proprietry recievers for their home, car, personal music player etc.

Sounds fantastic :rolleyes:. Or am I missing something really exciting about it that makes it worth it :confused:?

6. macrumors G4

Chundles

It's basically CD quality, ad-free radio broadcast from the heavens that you have to pay for. We had it in Canada at the ski resort and they tuned us into a station that played the same songs on a 24 hour loop. We could tell what time of day it was just by what song was on.... awful I tells ya, just awful.

The whole cost issue is why it hasn't taken off here yet - that and covering 20 million people over an area the size of the US just isn't economical for the broadcasters. Look at digital TV, the government has said that it will be switching off analogue TV in 2008 although they expect people to buy a TV capable of displaying the digital signal, a digital TV set top box and for a lot of people with very bad antenna wiring they have to have that re-done too. Don't get me started on HDTV...

It's not being turned off in 2008 anymore cause nobody can be arsed to pony up the cash whilst it all works just fine as it is.

Can't wait to set up our 42" HD plasma next year!

Oh, and I couldn't care less about radio now. I have podcasts and the iTMS for my needs now. If it's SonyBMG then they can go and get stuffed until they come around and put their stuff on the iTMS store with everybody else.

7. macrumors 68030

.Andy

Yeah it doesn't sound like my biscuit even if it was available in Aus. I think I'd rather listen to conventional radio and use the money I save to buy a CD that I'll have forever.

And I'm with you on the digital TV thing Chundles! The only thing interesting me about buying an HDTV is being able to watch DVD's, making good use of Front Row, and hooking up a next-gen console. The idea of forking out extra cash to watch commercial TV at high resolution seems completely mental.

8. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Radio sucks in Canada, Australia, and everywhere else for that matter.

No radio station plays such great music that I'd rather get stuck paying monthly fees than go out and buy a CD for the same price.

I think BBC Radio6 is ok, though, but I've never really heard it for real. It was usually XFM where I worked back when I lived in London.

9. adk
    macrumors 68000

adk

While I don't like Satellite radio, it does have its places in the cars of truckers and traveling salesmen, as well as the hip-hop fan stuck in the oklahoma panhandle. I really don't think it's mainstream enough, and I definitely can't justify paying for radio.

10. ksz
    macrumors 68000

Another man's Wow is another man's Wow too! Those are pretty cool as is the S50 from Sirius below. Now we have some intriguing choices for portable (wearable) satellite radio.

Attached Files:

11. macrumors 6502a

Could this now mean the end of the ipod is near?

12. macrumors 65816

neocell

Zero interest in it whatsoever. I wonder if people are just like, "ooo, ahhh, satellites, from space, talking to me!?!?! Cool I gotta have it". 'Cause like everyone's said, it's the same old sh*te repackaged and charged for. I can see it being used in some places (dr./dentist offices, etc.) where they don't want commercials, but nowhere near enough to make it financially viable for the makers. And why the hell would an average jane/joe ever want it besides to use as a status symbol, and a bad one at that. :confused:

13. ksz
    macrumors 68000

Just like everything else, some poeple will find a use for it and some won't. I am seriously considering it for my BMW, although I think they don't let you choose between Sirius and XM -- you have to go with Sirius. I don't mind paying a monthly fee for it, but I do mind having to pay an extra $7 a month to activate a second receiver. If I could purchase a subscription for my car and buy a portable receiver for no additional monthly service fees, I would jump at it.

14. macrumors 68040

mduser63

I've had XM for several months. I have to disagree that it's the same old stuff. I hear all kinds of music that would never in a million years be played on conventional radio. There are stations dedicated to just about every genre of music you can think of, plus talk, sports, news, etc. I really enjoy my satellite radio subscription. It's not really too expensive either. My radio was $50 (now $30), and the subscription is $13/month.

15. macrumors 68020

freeny

Sounds nice but $13 a month? Ill do it for $5.

16. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Now thats a good looker. i thought the picture the thread starter posted was a phone...oh well.

Bless

17. macrumors 65816

corywoolf

There are going to be an estimated 5 million Satellite radio subscribers by 2007, under 5% of the Radio listeners.

18. macrumors 65816

corywoolf

Awesome!

19. macrumors 6502a

I got XM for 1 year free. After that I put it in all my cars and house. Its worth it and every car I have will have it. And the cost is very low. To have it in 2 cars and my house ($24) is almost have the cost I pay for internet. I spend more than that to see a movie with my wife.

Whenever I hear people talk about the cost it reminds me when my friends said they wouldn't pay for high speed internet, because Dialup was free at school. I pay for the sound quality, service, and variety. The same reason I use iTunes.

lasuther

20. macrumors Core

yeah i think if the cost was lower more people would be jumping on it. i can't see paying that much for it a month. its like the subscription based music stores. stop paying = nothing. i prefer to buy my music and put it on my ipod. might have a higher upfront cost, but better and cheaper in the long run. unless you like trendy music and are constantly chaning your mind and only like the singles arists release and don't listen to full albums ever (ie my sister)

21. macrumors 6502

XM opinion

I

22. macrumors 65816

cwedl

Digital Radio in England Looks sooo much better than this, does this work on the same principles?

23. macrumors 6502

XM opinion

I have one of the Alpine head units with iPod integration. It came satellite ready (you could choose either the Sirius or XM module and antenna).

I decided to get the XM. I was able to lock in a 2 year commitment prior to them raising their prices, so I'm only paying like 8/month right now.

We put it in the "family" car (Subaru Forester), and I absolutely love it. The audio quality, while not CD quality, is still far better than FM.

The biggest thing about it, however, is the content. Great news, sports, and most importantly music. I'm a big jazz fan (classic "real" jazz, not the easy listening garbage), and it's the only game in town.

In fact, in my area, terestial radio is basically worthless unless you want Clear Channel shoving the same classic rock, country, and easy listening down your throat daily.

So, yeah, satellite radio is a good thing; pretty much like cable or directv -vs- over the air networks. You get what you pay for, but if you're not one who drives a lot or isn't into music, than it probably wouldn't be your thing.

24. macrumors regular

I smell a troll, this guy has 3 posts, 2 of which start satelite radio threads and then he disapears.

baned imo

25. macrumors Core

doesn't mean hes a troll. just shows where his/her particular interests lie. its not as if the person is instigating any sort of flame war or baiting people.