WoW.....

Discussion in 'Games' started by lebobiscoming, Sep 12, 2006.

1. lebobiscoming macrumors newbie

so im running WoW on my ibook atm...yea i hate it too. im planning on getting a new computer by december or so, but to tell you the truth, i really do not know how WoW will run on the model's ive been thinking about.
    Since the 24" iMac came out i have been thinking about that a ton, upgrading the graphics card to a 256, and later adding another gb or ram, anyone have any idea how that would run? currently i cannot raid, and can hardly pvp, even with specs on lowest. So at medium specs could i run all of this and still get nice fps everywhere? yes, i do know a lot about computers, but have not personally tested it. I have also been thinking about the mac pro (2.66ghz) with 1gb of ram (for the time being) and a 256 graphics card (not sure which). i found it on ebay brand new for 2k, which was kinda sweet. anyways, any help would be lovely. thanks- trevor

2. lewion macrumors regular

lewion

Ahum,... WoW FLIES on these machines dude search google or check the system specs omg even a lot of gamers pc's have worse then this.. these machines are huge they do the job without a doubt.. play oblivion on it too will ya :) and send some video's !

OMG :D

3. phobson macrumors newbie

Mac Mini --> Powerbook --> iMac 20"

I played WoW on my mac mini (1.42 ghz) and sometimes on my 12" powerbook. It ran okay on the mac mini, but the fan would get pretty loud and the powerbook would get hot playing it.

I bought the Intel iMac 20" about a week ago, and WoW runs quietly, smoothly, and AMAZINGLY. It isn't loud like it was on my mac mini or my powerbook. The graphics look great on the iMac. The iMac can handle WoW with no problem. I am running it with the 512k ram, plan on putting in a 1gig stick this week. The 512k runs it fine though.

hope this helps.

4. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Only 512 kilobytes of RAM? :eek: Incredible!

;)

5. lewion macrumors regular

lewion

that"s what i thought too ... i have 1000 Megabytes in my computer :) and it still works like **** :) how can you possibly do that lol :D

6. harveypooka macrumors 65816

You still get better speeds through XP though :(

7. Cerebrum macrumors regular

Cerebrum

I played WoW on my PB G4 1.67 with 1 Gig RAM and while it ran OK i guess, it was laggy. Laggiest specially where there was a lot of people. Once out of the cities, it was ok, not so great graphics, but playable. Did a few raids too. It is true though, it runs freakishly hot. I had to use my iCurve and prop a fan under it so it wouldn't go above 56 degrees.

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

WoW should run fine on any of the new iMacs, and it should be like butter on the Mac Pro. :)

9. stevo86 macrumors member

Oh it is :D... i can max everything out and still pull 50+ fps, and that's with the stock 7300gt, was gonna order myself the x1900 xt sometime soon but i don't think i can justify it after seeing what the 7300 does, it's not much but it does what i want it to do.

A 24" iMac with the 7600 card will destroy WoW, no problems. I say go for it... if the 24" is a bit expensive then the x1600 in the 20" will still do the job. And if the money's just laying around i say go for the Mac Pro :).

10. lebobiscoming thread starter macrumors newbie

haha well i already knew it woul d run wonderfully, but i just wanted to make sure exactly how wonderfully. for those of you running on a new iMac or Mac Pro, mind sending me some screenshots, i wanna see what its like.

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

it runs just fine on my Rev B iMac G5 with two gigs of Ram. thats the key methinks, WoW tends to eat up Ram like crazy. in other words, with a gig of ram and those new machines i think the iMac will be just fine.

12. lebobiscoming thread starter macrumors newbie

also, if infact i have to sell my ibook, or give it away in order for my dad to give me some money, i would have to get a laptop (for school and what not). but since i want to game as well (well..play WoW haha) i would go for the mabook pro of course. anyone played on one of this with WoW? im assuming it would run fairly smooth, considering the fair specs and what not.

13. lebobiscoming thread starter macrumors newbie

14. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Running it on the Duo Core Mac Mini w/ 2GB of ram and no problems here. Granted the specs are turned down (mainly terrain distance), but I have no problems at all playing.

15. Josephkyles macrumors regular

I got my new 24inch iMac Friday. WoW runs incredible on it. I have all my settings on high with zero lag! In a minimized window I've peaked over 200 FPS!

16. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

:eek:

17. cgerrells macrumors newbie

I have BOTH a 20' Imac with 512k ram and the 128 graphic card, PLUS a 17' Mac book pro with 2 gigs ram. BOTH run WoW seemlessly. I play from the Macbook pro and my wife plays at the same time from the iMac and all over a slower DSL connection using wifi. Course we play as a team, makes it a lot of fun, but I have to say these machines are amazing. Flat our amazing. I have also played quake 4 on the MBP and had it set to the highest quality everything, ran it with out a single hickup. Hands down the best gaming machine I have ever played on. On another note, the Damn MBP is actually faster than my twin atlon encoding server at EVERY task. That computer has become the kids toy due to this.... LOL.