WPA with mac.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mym4c, Oct 6, 2005.

1. mym4c macrumors newbie

can anybody try to explain to me how to configure my mac powerbook so i can go on the net using WPA wireless network. I have WPA but I cant seem to get it configured to WPA. Im running Mac OS X.

2. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

From the Airport menu, select Other...

You will get a window like this:
    [​IMG]

Type in the name of the wireless network you want to join (click the down arrow to get a list of broadcast SSIDs). From the Wireless Security pop-up choose the appropriate form of WPA. If this is a small-time network, chances are this is going to be either WPA Personal or WPA2 Personal. A Password field will appear where you can enter the password to join the network.

3. mym4c thread starter macrumors newbie

*sigh* said there was a problem connecting.. i got all excited too. thanks anyway

4. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

Is this a network you have set up yourself, or did someone else build it for you?

5. mym4c thread starter macrumors newbie

i set it up myself, but to use wpa i think you need the airport extreme base station which.. i have not obtained.

6. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

Ah, yes. You will have to set up WPA on your wireless base station before you can use WPA to join the network. If you are going for an Apple-branded base station, you will need to get an Airport Extreme or Airport Express. Alternatively, you can invest in a 3rd party Wireless router with WPA support (check the back of the box) and it will work just as well. You will just have to configure it through Safari (or whatever preferred web browser you use) rather than the Airport Admin Utility.

7. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Yes, third party routers will work fine. My netgear does this awesomely. I even have a generated 20 digit key (random, of course) for the password. WPA is the only way to go. WEP can be cracked easily.