Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Bricked your iPad how?

It kept saying there was an internal error so I restarted it and the Mac, closed all apps, put it into airplane mode and tried it again. It ing it up in "recovery mode with the cable/plug image on the screen. It seems pretty much useless at this point. I am reading that I am far from alone, too and yeah, my iPad applecare has expired so I guess I can toss it.

I'm definitely NOT going to install the OS X update after this.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
First generation iPod touch and 2010 Mac mini running Snow Leopard here.

Today is just another regular day. ;)

glenncal

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2009
It kept saying there was an internal error so I restarted it and the Mac, closed all apps, put it into airplane mode and tried it again. It ing it up in "recovery mode with the cable/plug image on the screen. It seems pretty much useless at this point. I am reading that I am far from alone, too and yeah, my iPad applecare has expired so I guess I can toss it.

I'm definitely NOT going to install the OS X update after this.

And what happens if you try to restore it from the cable/plug image screen? You shouldn't worry though, you will definitely be able to restore it (perhaps when the activation servers recover)

Gibson424

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2004
Orlando, FL
And what happens if you try to restore it from the cable/plug image screen? You shouldn't worry though, you will definitely be able to restore it (perhaps when the activation servers recover)

Same issue here, repeatedly trying to restore and getting the same Unknown Error message.

ladeer

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
after bricking my phone (thanks to the update), i was able to restore to factory setting and apply my local backup.

overall, this upgrade has been tumulus.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
.me email issue

Setup iOS, and the iCloud part. Works well. One issue though. I can send from my new @me.com account. But if I send to the new address, I get bounce backs stating 550 Illegal or Unknow alias.

I'm assuming it's a timing thing due to the load on the systems. Anyone else have this?

glenncal

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2009
Same issue here, repeatedly trying to restore and getting the same Unknown Error message.

To anyone who's getting this, just keep trying to restore it till it succeeds or leave it for later. It's not from your side so there's nothing you can do till the Apple's servers are back to normal.

RipcurlNg

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2011
iCloud

FIRST POST ON MACRUMORS.

WOHOO,
anyway, haven't been able to move over to iCloud with MobileMe.
It says to try again in an hour.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Seems that everyone is updating all at once... It's taking forever to download iOS 5.0. Says 4 hours to complete. Maybe I'll see it before the day is done? :)

MagnumOP

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
Any word on merging Apple IDs? a.k.a. merging the one we use for iTunes with our mobileMe account.

There was a story up on this a few weeks ago and I was wondering if there have been any whispers...

mariana888

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2010
UK
I thought the iPhone 4 would show the 'camera' button on the lock screen? is there a setting I need to enable? doesn't look as if it's working.
The volume buttons I can use for taking the photos.
Thoughts? Help?

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
Bricked Phone- Really Apple?

I can't restore my phone. It wiped it, but won't restore it or load the new software to it now. Just the image of the USB plug to iTunes on screen. Continue to get error 3014 for first hour. Now error 3004.
"The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (3004)."
Really frustrating. Between time for Lion update and this, I have been at my computer for 3 hours now, with still what is a useless phone.

I would hold off if you don't need to do this today. :mad:

emt1

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
I thought the iPhone 4 would show the 'camera' button on the lock screen? is there a setting I need to enable? doesn't look as if it's working.
The volume buttons I can use for taking the photos.
Thoughts? Help?

Double-click the home button while the phone is locked.

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
iMac and MacBook updated fine.

iPad and iPod Touch worked great also. No issues.

I am having trouble with iCloud -- well, specifically I can not seem to migrate my MobileMe account. I get the message below on the last screen.

Anyone else having issues? I do have a Family Pack with added storage on MobileMe, but I didn't think that would be an issue.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-10-12 at 10.44.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-10-12 at 10.44.54 AM.png
    293.7 KB · Views: 76

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Issues already!

Yeah and already lots of problems. WiFi syncing only seems to work when plugged into my computer even though I've set all the settings for Wireless sync. When I go to manually do a WiFi Sync in the settings, the button is greyed out until I plug it into my computer, only then does it become active. The instructions say it needs to be connected to a power source and on the same WiFi network as the PC, but when I just plug it into the charger, the WiFi sync is still greyed out. I was told, once set up, the phone should still appear in iTunes after being plugged out, but mine just disconnects. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Roofy.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2009
A little annoyed here. Isn't the whole point of BACKING up and RESTORING so you can have everything you previously had onto the new OS? Last time I got a replacement iPhone it backed up and restored every single thing fine.

Now when I updated to ios5 on my iPad and "backed up" everything all it restored was my photos, wallpaper, and overall layout of my apps MINUS all of the apps! Now Im redownloading every single app one by one on my iPad thru wifi. Not to mention I have to re update my music library.

Who would've thought that to get ios5 and iCloud, you have to go backwards and lose your **** first, just to go forward.

:rolleyes:

FranzMarc

macrumors member
May 11, 2010
Had the same problem with a Backup error after the iOS 5 download in iTunes. After a few failed attempts I restored the iPhone, which led to another backup that actually worked and it continued with the update.

It kept trying to restore apps etc. once I was on iOS5, which I cancelled and did it manually via iTunes.

Hope you guys get it to work!

cloud 9

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2004
Belgium
I have to restore my ipad too :(

It's restoring right now, I hope it will go quickly.

they should have activated the ios update according to time zones I guess.

I installed 10.7.2 and activated icloud, but it's not syncing? I'm not seeing my mail, nor my purchased pages or numbers nor contacts....??

And I'm not able to send mail to my @me.com address? and it seems intentional? http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3997

manowarwi

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2008
A little annoyed here. Isn't the whole point of BACKING up and RESTORING so you can have everything you previously had onto the new OS? Last time I got a replacement iPhone it backed up and restored every single thing fine.

Now when I updated to ios5 on my iPad and "backed up" everything all it restored was my photos, wallpaper, and overall layout of my apps MINUS all of the apps! Now Im redownloading every single app one by one on my iPad thru wifi. Not to mention I have to re update my music library.

Who would've thought that to get ios5 and iCloud, you have to go backwards and lose your **** first, just to go forward.

:rolleyes:

Strange, all of my apps and settings backed up and restored just fine

flpc

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2009
#fail

took about an hour to download iOS 5, then I got the server error. Now updating Lion, and it's telling me that there are 2 hours remaining.

the same with me. i think macrumors and other apple blogs should have normal users instead of only developers. i see that those apple blogs (including macrumors) don't know what's happening. go to twitter and see the world trending topic: error 3200. #fail

OliveHugh

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
iPad2 Notifications

On my iPad2 the weather and stock widgets are not in the notification center. Anybody else?

FrHa

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2011
iPad failed to update. I had to restore it, and iTunes said: "This will delete all the content on your iPad." I had to accept it and restore it...

...But, I think it's bricked. When restoring, it keeps getting stuck at about 70% on the stage "Restoring iPad Firmware", which is independent of Apple's servers. So I have an iBrick :mad:

Gonna go the Apple Store tomorrow to get a replacement iPad, unless I can find a solution. I'll update my comment to let you know what happens.

EDIT: After about 15 attempts, I finally got it to restore. All my content is now resorting. Still a mess nonetheless, and very time consuming. I can't WAIT for delta updates on the device itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.