Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

am1971

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2005
Barcelona...
Hello,

I'm hoping somebody can help me. I didn't know quite which forum to post this in so if it doesn't belong here please feel free to move it.

I am writing a novel in which a character finds a computer (an iBook) belonging to a murder victim.

I need for that character, who is not really computer literate, to find out how he can access the user's account, view his emails etc. This character has access to a couple of computer friendly people - one of them a DJ who uses a Mac for his work (spreading the word of Apple via great literature ..*cough*...) and they could advise him.

It has to be something not too overtly technical but not something as easy as just guessing the password based on the hint given after three bad attempts.

If anyone can think of a realistic way of getting around this I would be tremendously grateful.

thanks

am1971

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
I believe there an option to reset the administrator's password if one boots from the OS install CD. This works most of the time because the only way to thwart is to modify some firmware settings that most people don't bother doing. I'm pretty sure this is the case. Others will correct me if I'm wrong.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I think you can gain access to the <i>files</i> on a computer just by booting from a DVD. Maybe one of those files could have the password in it? Or some clue that leads to the password? Then, once logged in, typically email passwords are automatically entered, so e-mail access would be a snap.

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
I'm with moof, just insert the OS install cd, boot from it, and change the password.

Don't let Filevault be on in your story though... otherwise your file-obtaining escapades are going to end fairly quickly. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.