Writers "issue [Muhammad] cartoon row warning"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Lord Blackadder, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Salman Rushdie headlines this act:

Link

I generally agree, but I wonder about their choice of the word "Islamism" - that sounds a bit much like an indictment of Islam as a religion...but I definitely agree with them.

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I think Islamism is coming to mean a group of people who want to force the world to be ruled by Islam. I don't know what other word would suffice. Unfortunately, given the cartoon row and the invasion of Iraq more and more muslims seem to be jumping on the bandwagon or at least considering it.

3. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Wow, I thought this thread was dead....;)

I've heard the term "pan-Islamist" used, and I prefer it because it is more specific. But the use of "Islamism" better reflects the fact that the Islamic world is increasingly seen as a threat. People are becoming increasingly wary of the Muslim word's strict reactionary beliefs, and less inclined to believe that they want to be a part of the world rather than reshape it in their own image. I've heard comparisons to fascism bandied about in the press, a comparison that I'm sure the Isrealis would love to expand upon.:rolleyes: