Writing a device driver

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by touchscreen, Jan 24, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Jan 24, 2008
    I recently received a Fujitsu 7 wire resistive touch panel from a friend. I am planning on using it for a project with an older modal powerbook. Currently the company does not have a driver for the panel that works with any of the Mac os systems. I am wonder how hard would it be to write a driver for it myself? I am willing to put a lot of time into it. I am currently running OS 10.2.8, but if it looks like it will work am looking at upgrading to leopard. Thanks, all input is welcome.
  2. macrumors 68040

Oct 25, 2004
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 24, 2008
  4. macrumors 603

Oct 2, 2006
    The Land of Hope and Glory
    Your C/C++ programming is going to have to be reasonably good but I wouldn't say it is impossible with a little bit of effort. As long as you know the full hardware technical specifications for the device you are writing a driver for you should be fine.
  5. macrumors 68040

Oct 25, 2004
    In that case, you might want to start with test apps (Id' use command line apps) to initiate USB communication with the device, rather than focusing on a system-level driver right off the bat.

Here might be a better link to start with than my previous one:
  6. macrumors newbie

Dec 3, 2011

Hello, I figured this is a similar topic:

I am trying to access the touchpad on my macbook to make some custom swipes, touches, etc. How should I go about doing this?

Can this be done in Xcode?

I am also curious how hard it would be to make a custom keyboard that can use the existing USB driver for keyboards...

7. macrumors member

Dec 6, 2010
    I'm interested in this topic too, are there any guides that would take a simple device and show u the process of making a driver in Mac to work with it??