Writing a Play

Discussion in 'Community' started by *Y*, Nov 9, 2004.

1. *Y* macrumors regular

I have to write an eight to ten page play by Friday for my Creative Writing class. The problem is I have no clue what to write about. The play is supposed to be exploring a conflict in the life of several characters and is supposed to be grounded in some sort of 'everyday' situation. Can you please help me com up with an idea. Thanks in advance. :)

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It will be easiest to write about something you are very familiar with, so why not start with your own family and an "every day situation" that your family faces. (or loosely based on your family)

Does it need to be humorous, serious, or does it matter?

Since it is close to Thanksgiving season (or Christmas), why not a holiday story around your family. Maybe someone coming home for the holidays from college or the military. Maybe a play about how nobody was going to be able to make it home this year, but somehow it all works out and everybody makes it.

3. *Y* thread starter macrumors regular

No it doesn't have to be of any specific nature. However at least one of the characters must experience some sort of a positive change.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

your assignment is "easy", in a sense, because it contains all the elements that a good story would naturally have. think less about the assignment and more about something that is personal to you. if it's personal to you, you probably changed because of it.

write the first draft as it happened, then in subsequent drafts disassociate yourself and write it to make it a better story (i.e. good dialog, well-drawn characters, character arcs).

here's something that helps a lot of writers get unstuck -- brainstorm ten ideas, write them down, then pick the one that most interests you. it's important to not censor yourself for this exercise, just start writing them down.

good luck.

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

One piece of advice - throw in a floating, talking green alien that only the lead male can see, who constantly talks him into hair-brained schemes - that's GOLD... ;)

Seriously, as others have said, write about something you know about, and something that interests you. It doesn't sound like you have to come up with a truly creative idea, it sounds pretty basic and straightforward to me, so just make a list, give it some thought, do some brainstorming, and I'm sure a good idea will come to you. Events worth writing about probably occur all the time in your life surrounding your family, but since you're "in the bubble" you can't see them. Take a step back and I'm sure something will come to you.

The hardest part about writing is knowing what to write. :cool:

6. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I would suggest a play with a Mac vs. PC debate as the central conflict... ending with the PC user switching to Mac (how's *that* for a positive change).

As thay always say: "Write about what you know."

7. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

i know about cells. do you? do a play on meiosis!

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

MEIOSIS! Why didn't I think of that? Its a classic theme. Add the floating, talking green alien that only you can see and you are almost done!

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Excellent, everything is falling into place... :cool:

10. apple2991 macrumors 6502

Cellular and microbiological plays are always enjoyable.

I was thinking about some sort of Jesus crew transformation, however. Maybe how they all realize they're stupid and they see the light after persecuting an astronomer/old lady/child in children's crusade/abortion-performing doctor, depending on the time setting you choose.

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

That one's probably been overdone for a while.

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Overdone, and a tad controverisal at times... ;)