Writing a Spotlight Plugin

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by wahgnube, Jun 16, 2006.

1. macrumors member

Feb 15, 2006
    I'm new to the world of macs, and I've been thinking of writing a spotlight plugin for my music files (which happen to be in Ogg Vorbis and not MP3) as a means to wet my feet with XCode.

I've gotten code to read the music files and extract their meta-data working, but I am having some difficulty extending XCode's boilerplate meta-data importer code to work with mine. It turns out I want to use C++ (and not C or ObectiveC) to do this, so I'm running into some problems.

Is this an appropriate place to pose a more technically-detailed question, or does anyone know of a more developer oriented forum/mailing list where mac developers hang out? I would be very interested to know and participate.

2. Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    Write your plugin in Objective-C++ (search the Apple developer site for details). The bits of the plugin that have to be in Objective-C will be and you can interface with your evil C++ code to read the music files.
  3. thread starter macrumors member

Feb 15, 2006
    Thanks! Objective-C++ was what I was looking for.

In this interim, I also found a Spotlight developer mailing-list on the Apple website and they pointed me to the same thing.
  4. macrumors member

Dec 27, 2005
    are you going to relase the code ?
    i'm curious to how this is done