Writing games on macs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AppleManEric, Sep 15, 2003.

1. AppleManEric macrumors newbie

hey guys,
    does anyone know what language games can be written in for macs.
    thanks
    (sorry if this is an old thread, i searched for it but couldn't find anything)
    Eric

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You can use most anything including C, C++, Objective-C, and Java, which are the common choices.

If you want it to work on Linux or Windows also, your best bet is to learn OpenGL for the graphics and C++. You can put the operating system-specific things into just a few files and use compiler directives to keep the code small.

3. AppleManEric thread starter macrumors newbie

4. AppleManEric thread starter macrumors newbie

oh, uh, what would be the best way to learn openGL?

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

There are a few books on it including OpenGL Game Programming (ISBN 0-7615-3330-3) and the OpenGL SuperBible (ISBN 1-57169-164-2).

The older books are UNIX-oriented; the newer books are Windows-oriented. Either way you have to make small adjustments.

I'm sure there are plenty of tutorials online as well.

6. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

If you're completely new to writing games for the mac, I recommend idevgames.com. They have a lot of resources (references, software and game assets) and a quite supportive community.

7. AppleManEric thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you both very much. that link was very helpful. I will look into some books