Writing with Greek Fonts

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 18thTomorrow, Sep 1, 2004.

1. 18thTomorrow macrumors 6502

Hello,
    I'm studying Greek this fall and want to take some notes and do some writing on my laptop. I've downloaded/installed some Greek fonts--HellasHelvecia, and HellasTimes, etc. However whenever I try to use them in Appleworks or another application, they just come out as english fonts.
    What am I doing wrong--is there some setting that I need to have enabled?
    Thanks

2. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Apple: System Preferences, International.

Once there, input menu, look for Greek in the menu, tick it. Select it in the input menu.

3. 18thTomorrow thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply. I did this and logged out and then back in; however, when I try to select Greek in the input menu, it is greyed out and not "selectable".

4. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Hmm to be honest I don't know what it could be, as I never change language I just always knew the option was there. In options try un-checking "Try to match keyboard with text". Maybe that's doing it because you don't have a Greek KB. (Can it even tell that?)

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I tried the suggestion and have the same problem - maybe using an application like Pacifist to install the additional fonts/languages from the Mac OS X CD will help?

6. jmm macrumors newbie

Greek on Mac

Perhaps these are Unicode fonts? That would explain if they do not work in AppleWorks. If you are using OS X, try TextEdit instead.

If you want to write classic Greek, you will need the GreekKeys input method and a classic Greek font like Athenaean.
    <http://ist-socrates.berkeley.edu/~pinax/greekkeys/GreekKeys.html>

Hope this helps.

7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Actually, it's probably because the app you're trying to write in doesn't support unicode - Office X, probably?

Office 2004 adds unicode support. In the meantime, you can use TextEdit and try saving as an RTF for compatibility with other word processors.

edit - jynx, jmm. :p

8. 18thTomorrow thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah! That must be it. I can do it in Text Edit. Duh...Try harder next time, Britt...

thanks for the help!

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You may need to add Greek to the Languages: list. In the International Preferences pane, press the Language tab. Press the Edit... button. When the list appears, scan down the list to select the languages that you want.