Wrong graphics card?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chever@chever.p, May 12, 2005.

1. chever@chever.p macrumors newbie

May 12, 2005
    Just taken delivery of a new 2.3 Dual powermac with some upgrades.

One of the upgrades was from a ATI Radeon 9600 128mb upto ATI Radeon 9650 256mb.

Now I have check the system prefs - graphics/displays and it showing ATI Radeon 9600, but with a VRAM of 256mb (see attached pic).

Sounds like they haven't given me the correct card although the MB seem to be correct.

Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. amholl macrumors 6502

Dec 21, 2004
    from what i heard, the 9650 is an XT, so maybe that is what it is labeled as.
  3. chever@chever.p thread starter macrumors newbie

May 12, 2005
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm going to give Apple a ring tomorrow to clear things up, will post when I have an answer.
  4. Platform macrumors 68030

Dec 30, 2004
  5. chever@chever.p thread starter macrumors newbie

May 12, 2005
    Just finished upgrading my memory by another gig and decided to do a hardware check using the disc that came with the powermac.

It runs through checking memory, graphics card etc, and its does actually show on the results that the graphics card is an ATI Radeon 9650 with 256mb, so I guess that clears that up. :)
  6. blandings macrumors newbie

May 19, 2005
    Which card?

Greetings: I have the same thing and did call Apple. They said if it were the 9650, it would say so. They told me to deal with my reseller. The reseller says they will take a look and replace it if it's the wrong card. Since the 9600 doesn't support the 30" monitor, wouldn't it be easier just to hook it up to one and see if it works? On the Apple G5 forum, you can read the same messages. On that board, people who know much more than I say the specs are right. Pretty disappointing that Apple barely listened and wasn't willing to look into the problem. I hope you will post what you found out. I have a feeling it depends on what rep you reach.
  7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    You got the right card.

The 9650 is a 9600 card with 256MB and a dual link port.

If it says 9600 with 256MB it is likely the 9650.

A lot of times Apple's system profiler db is off, or ATI gives odd info directly off the card.

Don't know if 9650 is an Apple or ATI marketing term, and it really doesn't matter since the 9650 is basically a modified 9600 card anyway.