Wrong man pays child support to Peterson mistress

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jsw, Sep 21, 2005.

1. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Porky's, indeed.

Regardless of the celebrity of the woman involved, I feel sorry for both the man who was paying and the little girl. Not because of the money, but because they both believed they were related. Of course, it's entirely possible that the girl barely knew him, if at all, as he'd been denied visitation in the past.
  2. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2005
    I imagine this sort of thing is going to become more common as men get kids tested they supposedly fathered, often the women will have to pay back the money they got. Shows some of the problems of promiscuity, in the end its the kids that suffer
  3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Apr 7, 2003
    I think that cases like this have been going on since the dawn of man. It's not at all surprising nor is it attributable to modern sexual habits.

Yeah, it is tough on the kids but with child support laws so strict in this country, I can understand that no man would want to pay for a child that is not biologically his. Another twist in our technological progress.
  4. stubeeef macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    Very sad story of our times. Why we have to determine who the father is, is a major bad statement.
    The only good side of some of this, is that the woman/mother is starting to look less untouchable in these proceedings.
  5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

Jul 23, 2002
    Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
  6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    ^^ That explains everything!!

However, the largest study done on this topic indicates that the number of fathers who are unknowingly raising a child that's not his is around 10%. I know it sounds high, and I think it does as well, but many many separate studies have indicated this, the latest study (if I remember correctly) done at Dalhousie University, or one of those east coast Universities in Canada. Other studies were done in Sweden, the UK, an American University, and 2 or 3 others, and they all found percentages around 10% (give or take a few percentage points).

They gather their data at hospitals. Sometimes a child will be sick and has to undergo some tests. Some of these doctors will test the child, and for some reason or another, will test the parents (maybe the illness was a genetic-related disease.....I forgot the details since the story made the news around 2 years ago) and find out that the child is actually NOT the father's. However, they can't tell the parents, not even the father, due to confidentiality. They're not to interfere with domestic affairs.....only with treating the child. :rolleyes:

I can understand the predicament, but it's so sad. :(

Good. Women have it too good the way it is now. It should be fair. Funny, I don't hear women's rights activists fighting for "fairness" on the issue of child support and custody.