Wrong os version in "About this Mac"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by oligore, Dec 2, 2006.

1. macrumors member

oligore

[​IMG]
    Some guy at school recently changed what my "about this mac window" says. Could some one help me its hard to install some stuff with it?
    (I think he changed in in the system folder)

My versions 10.3.9 but it says 10.9.4

2. macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Uhm, I generally don't recommend mucking about in the /System directory, but this is the location. It should be the same as Tiger. Edit this file (TextEdit.app is fine):

/System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/AboutThisMac.strings

Look for the line: "ABOUT_BOX_VERSION_FORMAT_STRING" And it will probably say Version 10.9.4 -- it should say Version %@

EDIT: I suppose I oughta make an amendment to this. You won't be able to save directly back to the file because of permission issues. I'd do a "Save As..." to your desktop and drag it back into the folder, which will ask for your password.

3. macrumors 68020

G5Unit

You, my friend, are from the future.

4. thread starter macrumors member

oligore

It must be different in mine i cant find it in the file.
    EDIT I found it in the spot u said: loginwindow.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/AboutThisMac.strings

It just seems to have examples of stuff
    thanks any way

5. macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Yeah, and looking at the particular line it looks as though it has the right properties set.

Uhm, well, it could have been set in the AboutThisMac.nib file (which is in the same folder as AboutThisMac.strings). It could be that the person modified the .nib -- if this is the case then whoever did it is ridiculously irresponsible.

If you have the developer tools installed, you can try opening the "AboutThisMac.nib" and seeing if it's been hardcoded.

6. macrumors 68000

lexus

Wow can you take some screenshots of iTunes 10 for us? And if possible Safari 6.

Thanks

7. macrumors regular

rafifreak00

That's why I don't trust anybody with my Mac.
    And wow, you must have one weird friend for doing that... (and knowledgable...)

8. macrumors 68020

What type of Mac do you have, oligore? Did Apple ever fix the screen dim bug for the MacBooks? God I hope so. It's annoying.

9. thread starter macrumors member

oligore

yer that came out late 2009 the year they released the powerbook G6

10. macrumors 603

mrkramer

Well it's nice to know that the G3 will be supported until 10.9. But why don't you try to get your friend to fix it if he messed it up he should know how to fix it.

11. macrumors 68000

pianoman

the OP doesn't make it sound like they're friends (he said "some guy" not "my friend") and what kind of friend would mess up your computer's system files? not cool.

12. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The file you're looking for is /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist.

You'll obviously have to change permissions in order to alter that file.