Wrong To Wave Mexican Flag, But Not Israeli Flag At Rallies?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Jul 18, 2006.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So about a month ago we were subjected to all kinds of righty claims that it was un-American for people protesting the proposed GOP immigration plan to carry or to wave Mexican flags at these rallies. They were widely denounced by many prominent members of the right as having "divided loyalties" because of it.

So if we are to take them at their word, wouldn't you think they would be just as upset about people's "divided loyalties" if they were waving the Israeli flag at a rally?

No, once again we see the rank political posturing of the right -- calling their opponents un-American for doing the same thing their own supporters get a pass for doing.

If the truth mattered to anyone who complained about people waving Mexican flags on American soil, then they will condem these people as well...

2. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Persoanlly, I think if you're in America, you should be waiving the American flag. If you go to another country, waive their flag. How hard is it?

I don't run around with a Germany flag spouting german everywhere I go. So why in the hell should anybody else do the same with another flag and language?

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Why not? Just because you don't do it?

I don't play golf. Why in the hell should anybody else play?

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

there were a bunch of italian flags being waved 'round the world, including the US, after they won the world cup. anything wrong with that?

5. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

No, that's in celebration. That's fine.

But I think using a flag of a place you don't even live anymore to make a political point is quite pathetic, and shows that you don't care for the place that you moved to one damn bit, is all.

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It's a disgrace to win on penalty kicks.

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

You think everyone who attends immigration rallies is an immigrant? Why can't one be proud of one's heritage?

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

as disgraceful as losing on penalty kicks? :)

9. Atlasland macrumors 6502

Before extolling the virtues of using the American/English language, you might want to check that you're using it correctly youself.

10. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

I didn't say they couldn't be proud, did I? Let's not twist words here.

I just think it's disrespectful to waive another country's flag when you're trying to be a part of another country. That's all. It's my personal opinion is all. Whether it's right or wrong, black or white isn't up to me, but that's my view and I'll stick with it.

11. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

No extolling here, pal. Did I say that waiving a (insert your preffered country here) flag in AMERICA was wrong? No, I didn't mention any specific area, which means I believe it holds true for all nations. Mind you're P's & Q's.

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Stupid game. Ought to be illegal.

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I think the point is that waiving the US flag in the United Stated of America, is almost up there with burning it. Waving is quite another thing.

B

14. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

meh, whatever. IE sucks, and I'm too tired to actually go back and think about spelling. I was up half the night at this girl's house I'm seeing and had to get up early to get back home to wear the corporate noose. Gotta stop these late nights.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That's the nice thing about our flag. You can wave other flags under it. Sure, you're an American, but you can still be a Mexican-American, or an Italian-American, or an Israelie-American. Or even an African-American, but that can mean something else than what you'd think.

16. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

To me, underneath is fine and dandy. But, people don't seem to get that. They seems to think that the other country comes first. Makes me sad and angry...

17. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

So you're saying that all the people waving Israeli flags in that crowd think that Israel comes first?

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Now that's an interesting question.

19. aquajet macrumors 68020

Indeed.

:rolleyes:

20. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Represent homie! :D

Don't get me wrong, being proud of where you came from and your heritage is something everyone is entitled to. I just think, if you're going to be in a country, you should demonstrate why you ARE there. The flag to me, represents all of those who have fought and died for our country. It's a matter of respect with me, and I'm sure natives of other countries feel the same way.

21. Atlasland macrumors 6502

Yes, I noticed that error after the fact, but left it all the same.

And the point was that he was "extolling the virtues of using the Engligh language". I wasn't.

And mine was a typo. His was a serious spelling mistake.

:rolleyes:

22. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

That "to me" in your statement seems crucial, though. Would you agree that, as a symbolic object, the flag is decidedly interpretive? I mean, there's no "right" way to read the flag -- or is there?

It seems to me that the flag would mean one thing to a veteran of World War II and another thing to someone looking for a way out of the draft during Vietnam, for example.

23. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

damn, I feel like I should put a flame suit on just from viewing this thread.

24. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Actually I'm not so much pointing this out to re-hash the whole flag debate, but to point out the unsurprising quiet from the right-wing noise machine about waving foreign flags at a US rally.

I point this out for all our posters who insist that the GOP cares more about the sanctity of the flag than they do about scoring political points. The GOP does not care about the sanctity of the flag. They care about holding and expanding their power and the power of government.

That is all.