Wrong typeface for copy?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by typeface, Jul 6, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

Hello you folks

I am looking at a website for a local cafe, and something doesn't sit right about their choice of typeface for block copy; it seems to hurt my eyes when reading paragraphs. Am I the right in thinking that they've over-used the typeface "king Kool KC"?

http://www.kafebloc.com

Thank you - I am a typographic newcomer - this is an education for me, albeit a VERY enjoyable one :)

2. fig
    macrumors 6502a

You're right. What they're using for body copy is definitely a display typeface, something designed for headlines and very short blocks of text. It's not at all comfortable for reading anything over a line or so.

Like all rules, there's always exceptions, but in this case they're definitely breaking the "don't use display type for body copy" rule in a very bad way. A simple sans would've been a much better choice.

I don't personally love that typeface used as a headline either, it's a bit overly casual for them IMO.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Agreed.

Thank you for your opinion; I value it a lot. :)

4. fig
    macrumors 6502a

Glad to help. I'd imagine there's some specialized typographic designers around here who can offer more insight.