Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wankle

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2004
Originally posted by snahabed
Uhm, SUCK IT, "BUDDY" :)

Arrogance is comical when it is just so wrong!

I know Apple. The idea of a $179 4GB was laughable.

Hey, I was wrong. I still stand by my statement that it's a stupid price considering that the 15GB is only $50 more. Apple really screwed this up.

AlbinoPigeon

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Just released? ATRAC is the technology that's been behind compressing music onto MiniDiscs for the past 10 years. The format can also be used on Sony's Network Walkmans (and of course the CD players you mentioned).

My mistake. As a layman I guess I just noticed their recent huge push in advertising Atrac3 technology. It probably started as a response to Apple's "x,000 Songs In Your Pocket" slogan.

But I stand by what I said before about Sony getting into the market. No amount of infighting can ignore the fact that Apple is ripping it up with their iPods. They'll hafta do something soon, or simply forget that market segment alltogether.

Think about it, for Sony to get involved just makes sense given their history. For Sony, the walkman was what put them on the map for music lovers everywhere. Apple is basically replacing them in that respect.

Spagolli94

macrumors member
May 22, 2002
Philadelphia, PA
Originally posted by wankle
Hey, I was wrong. I still stand by my statement that it's a stupid price considering that the 15GB is only $50 more. Apple really screwed this up.

I agree with you 100%. I don't think it will sell as well as they hope and the market may force a price drop to $199. I think $200 is a magic number for a lot of people.

Kind of reminds me of the original single 1.8 G5. Close to the dual 2 in price, but not performance. They either needed to lower the price or increase the performance. They chose the later and gave us a dual 1.8.

I expect the same will happen here with the new iPod. They should up it to 10GB for $249, or keep it 4GB and lower the price to $199. Only time will tell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.