WSJ Confirms New iOS 7 Design, 'iRadio' Introduction at WWDC

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 9, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple will announce a significant redesign of its iOS software and a streaming-music service tomorrow at WWDC according to a pair of reports from The Wall Street Journal posted this evening.

The newspaper confirms longstanding rumors that iOS will see a substantial redesign overseen by Jony Ive, Apple's chief designer. It sources "people involved in its development" as saying the iOS redesign will drop the skeumorphic design favored by the ousted Scott Forstall in favor of "plain solid backgrounds and more white space."

Ive's substantial "flat" redesign of the iOS interface has been rumored for several weeks. Several alleged leaks have appeared, though it's unclear if any of these have been legitimate.

Prior to the publication of these two articles, prominent Apple journalist John Gruber claimed on a podcast that "all the leaks are wrong" with regards to iOS 7. It's unclear if he was referring to leaked images of the user interface or more broad-based rumors of a significant UI overhaul.

In addition to details regarding the iOS redesign, the WSJ also shared some other possible tidbits about tomorrow's presentation.
    The new ways to share photos and videos may be a reference to AirDrop, a feature that was rumored to be included in iOS 7. Unlike the UI redesign and the streaming-music service, the paper did not cite any sources with regards to new laptop models and an update to OS X.

In a separate article, the WSJ all-but confirmed that Apple will launch a streaming-music service at WWDC tomorrow. The tech press has nicknamed the initiative 'iRadio', and the ad-supported service is expected to significantly compete against Pandora, one of the most popular applications on the iPhone.
    The paper said talks between Apple and record labels and publishers have been in the works for more than a year, with Apple delaying the planned launch of the service in order to reach satisfactory agreements. Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president for Internet Software and Services, is said to be the main negotiator behind the deals.

Contract negotiations related to how much Apple will need to pay in royalties for songs, as well as how much Apple would need to pay for songs that listeners choose to skip. Pandora's contract agreements require that it pay for skipped songs as if they were listened to in full, while the WSJ reports that Apple will not be required to pay for skipped tracks under some of its deals.

Update: The New York Times echoes the above report:
    The keynote for tomorrow's Worldwide Developers Conference kicks off tomorrow at 10:00 AM Pacific Time. MacRumors will have live coverage of the proceedings.

Article Link: WSJ Confirms New iOS 7 Design, 'iRadio' Introduction at WWDC

2. Guest

Apple leaking information and setting expectations.

Seems like they can't wait for tomorrow.

3. macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

I'll just be happy for the rumors to end.

Also, flat.

4. macrumors member

Really? iOS 7 is going to be announced tomorrow? I would never have guessed:rolleyes:

5. macrumors 6502a

"WSJ Confirms New iOS 7 Design"

OMG it's SO MUCH MORE credible now...yawn.
    better late to the party than never.
    seriously, we all knew it like 3 months ago.

6. macrumors newbie

Even iOS eh? I wonder what else can get 0.007% thinner tomorrow...

7. macrumors 6502a

CrazyForApple

like we didn't see this coming

8. macrumors 6502a

arctic

Apple spinning this where they didn't need to do before doesn't sound too good.

9. macrumors 68040

braddick

Sweet!
    First this and then Breaking Bad returning.

This is turning out to be a terrific month!

10. macrumors 65832

Tankmaze

Airdrop then, it is very intriguing on how this is work in iOS ?
    Maybe apple would introduce some sort of file manager to iOS
    Well hopefully. And also ability send files thru bluetooth please, Apple.

11. macrumors 6502

My blood

12. macrumors regular

Populus

I was expecting to see something about new OSX :(
    As well as new rMBP Haswell powered :(

13. macrumors 6502a

More sharing within the walled garden crap.

14. macrumors 6502a

HD anybody noticed the random colored shapes on the posters look like Apple TVs?

15. macrumors newbie

people outside the US will have to wait at least a year for iRadio!

16. macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

Spin? Apple hasn't said a thing yet so it spinning is literally impossible at this point. All we have now are uncredited "sources," and even those report are vague.

17. Contributing Editor

jlgolson

Nah, this is very, very normal behavior for Apple. They routinely leak broad-based details of events to a major press outlet or two the night before an event.

18. macrumors member

Breaking Bad is returning August 11...

19. macrumors 6502a

i'll .... stick to my spotify....meanwhile :D

20. macrumors member

I'm just going to go into this without any grand expectations, an open mind and hope for the best :) I'm excited for some of the rumored changes

21. macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

Interesting take... maybe the tag line "a whole new world developing" is Apple opening up Apple TV. You could be on to something there.

22. macrumors 68040

braddick

Ah, you're correct.
    I was thinking, "Housewives of Beverly Hills".

I get those two shows confused.

23. macrumors regular

God, I hope not! :mad:

24. macrumors 6502

Ingot

Nope. There are very easy workarounds widely available for non U.S. residents to enjoy american only web services. I do all the time (eg. U.S. Netflix in Canada on multiple devices).

25. macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

The walled garden has a door. You are welcome to come and go as you please. No one is forcing you to use Apple products. Android is just outside the gates.