WTB - Big Weber charcoal grill.

Discussion in 'Community' started by molcas&e'sdad, May 17, 2005.

1. molcas&e'sdad macrumors member

I figured that a community as fanatical as this one would be understanding of my obsession - locating a Weber 26-3/4 inch charcoal grill. So I am asking - do you have a 26-3/4 in Weber and are you willing to sell it?

If not, what are you grilling tonight? For my family, tonight its chicken ...

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I have the Weber Gas Ignition Charcoal grill - best of both worlds :D No fuss to get the charcoal burning and just turn it on if add some more later :D

I don't need a large one, that's some serious amounts of grilling space. How many people are you feeding?

D

3. molcas&e'sdad thread starter macrumors member

I am indeed jealous of your gas ignition grill (aka "The Performer"). That will likely be my next great obsession ...

I am actually feeding only 5 people. In reality, my 22-1/2 grill is adequate. But I just can't help but want to go a bit bigger ...

4. craigdawg macrumors 6502

I've had my eye on the Genesys Silver B for a while now. I know it should last 10+ years but I can't get past the price ($500). And I live in an apartment. And I'm only really cooking for myself, with the occasional get-together. And I could make do with a charcoal grill.

But I still want one. :)

5. Inkmonkey macrumors 6502

Got it. ;)
    Just bought it a month or so back and it is marvelous. Such even heat.

6. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I don't want to hijack the thread, but as long as we're talking about grills, I'm looking to downsize to a little portable grill of some kind. We don't "entertain" a lot, and it's really just my wife and I who would be using it, so I'm looking for something that's fairly inexpensive, requires little or no assembly, etc.

Wal-Mart sells a few different models (both gas and electric) by Sunbeam, and I haven't had a chance to shop around much elsewhere yet. Does anyone have any comments or recommendations for models towards that end of the spectrum?

7. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    If it's the same one that im thinking of, that's a great choice in grills, the large space allows for offset/indirect cooking and it's well designed. The trap door grate is great for adding charcoal for longer grilling jobs.

I have an old school Turco gas grill for quick grilling jobs, a mini Weber for day/camping trips, and a custom smoker made from 2 50 gallon drums for heavy duty smoking duties.

8. molcas&e'sdad thread starter macrumors member

Weber does make a portable gas grill and a portable charcoal grill that cost about $50, or so, called the "go anywhere grill". I think you can get one at Target or Home Depot (not sure about Wal-Mart). I do not personally own one but a co-worker highly recommends the gas version.

Weber also makes a pair of portable gas grills called the "Weber Q" and "Baby Q". Another co-worker says that these compare very well to the Genesis line (which are phenomenal). This would be a great choice if you can swallow the price (about $180 and $130, respectively). This would be perfect for an apartment in my opinion.

As you can surmise, I am a bit obsessed by Weber grills ... It's a sickness, really ...

9. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    normally, i always stick with a charcoal, but for the small portables, the "Go Anywhere" gas version is better than the coal version. The charcoal version has the coals too close to the grate for my taste, but it'll work for hot dogs, corn and burger patties.

10. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Thanks for the tip about the Weber's "Go-Anywhere" Grill (you too, krimson)! I stopped by Amazon.com and Epinions.com and it looks like it gets glowing reviews (no pun intended). I haven't seen a bad review of it yet. I'll check around over the next few days at Target or Home Depot to see if I can find one in stock; I know that I didn't see this model at Wal-Mart the other day when I was looking.

11. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I did a turkey over the weekend in a trashcan. It was a sorta DIY charcoal oven. The drippings fell on the coals and gave the whole thing a wonderful smokey taste.

12. craigdawg macrumors 6502

I saw this Coleman gas grill at REI. It doesn't have a domed lid and isn't exactly small or inexpensive. But it collapses and has wheels.

[​IMG]

13. craigdawg macrumors 6502

As Napoleon would say, "Luckyyyy!" :D :D :D

14. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

and on a further tangent

those portable grills look nice, but what about the people in apartments on rainy days? maybe where you live, you can use charcoal, but here, we can only use electric - even on our little balcony. anybody know of an electric that will at least taste somewhat decent?

15. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Thanks for the heads-up. I went ahead and bought the Weber Go-Anywhere Gas Grill yesterday (about $55.00 at Home Depot) and will probably try it out this weekend. If this option doesn't work out well I will be sure to look at the Coleman model and some others...

16. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

I go with the the portables even though I don't port them around. It is just my fraulein and I and we don't need a grill the size of a pool table. But sometimes the little grills will simply crap out and you'll need to buy a new one. I'm on my 3rd one since '98. They are practically given away come September too (under $15). My only beef is what to do with the empty propane cannisters. Don't want to pitch them in the landfill and need to find a place that recycles them.

All little grills are made by the same company. There is a metal plate on the front that screws on and bears the name of whomever is selling them whether it be Coleman, Sunbeam, etc.

I'd stay away from the charcoal - pain the a-- to get going and put out sometimes.

On another note, to those who live in cold weather areas, do you grill year round or pack it up in early fall. Me, I usually grill twice a week all year.

17. molcas&e'sdad thread starter macrumors member

Here in Minnesota I grill all year and as often as possible. So far I have had the "perfect weekend" a couple of times = 7 grilled meals.

We the upcoming holiday weekend, I hope to achieve the unthinkable ...
    The "perfect holiday weekend" = 10 grilled meals ...

mmmmmmm ....

18. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Get one of the big refillable canisters and a connector hose. The big ones are like $45 at Walmart/Lowes/Home Depot and $15 to refill (Actually its like the old coke bottles, leave your empty and get a new one.)

Not quite that regular but yes, throughout the year. I've been out there below 0 flipping steaks.

19. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

When I was living in UT (college days), we would do whatever we could to grill on Sunday. The only problem was that it sometimes meant that we were cooking the $.50 pack of hot dogs and calling it a day. The only thing that could stop us was my buddy's parents. They lived in the area, and made the best chicken enchiladas I've ever had. Plus, they had real meat there and would grill on the side. So, I guess I would be getting grilled meat either way.

20. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I think that's what I'm going to have to do, so it's just as well. I'm having trouble finding the 14.1 oz. propane cannisters that my new Weber Go-Anywhere Portable Gas Grill wants to use. Home Depot and Lowe's had some slightly larger ones (16.7 oz. or something like that) and Wal-Mart didn't have anything.

Has anyone else had trouble finding the 14.1 oz size cannisters?

21. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

The larger propane tanks work fine with the Weber (I have one, too). While it's no charcoal grill, it's an excellent take-anywhere model.