WTB: Older iMac/PowerBook/iBook

Discussion in 'Marketplace Archive 1 (Posts count)' started by im_to_hyper, Sep 14, 2005.

1. macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

I just got a request from a resident doctor at the local clinic (AKA someone just out of med school with a low paying job and deeply in debt).

Here is part of an e-mail he sent me, which I thought I would post here. He wants me to find him a cheap Mac, but I need the help of others!

Therefore, just post what you've got! Even if it is some old POS running 10.2 in XPostFacto, let me know! Thanks!

Eric

2. macrumors 6502a

For that sort of money you should be able to get a slot-loading iMac easily - say around 450mHz model. You can stick a load of memory in it and run OS X quite happily, along with MS Office etc.
    Have a quick look at eBay to get an idea of what these machines are fetching.
    Bonus point - the iMacs (esp the later models) are still quite good looking machines, if you have to have a computer on display in a doctors surgery.

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

Well, it will be used at his house for this research. I had already mentioned the iMacs, but was somewhat hoping that it would come from a source much more trustworthy than Ebay.

4. macrumors 6502a

I'm with you on the eBay thing - a bit risky. But it gives you an idea of price, and you can then look locally - maybe a local Mac User Group???

5. macrumors 65816

reberto

Will the iMac in smy sig do? I don't use it much, it now sits in my closet.

6. macrumors 6502a

7. thread starter macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

Maybe I will take the iMac in your sig... how much would you want, shipped, for it?

8. macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Well

Actually if you look on eBay (yeah I know not the best option) you can find a clamshell iBook for around $300. Just make sure you get either the Special Edtion FireWire ones, or the models just before that so you can add more RAM to it. They have 802.11b via AirPort too so that's good, and they usually come with 10gb hard drives. They range from 300-466mhz, the Special Edition Graphite and Lime are the most powerful and can even run Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger". :D

Also http://www.macofalltrades.com has some nice laptop deals sometimes, and http://www.smalldog.com has some nice prices on Apple laptops too. Good luck!

9. macrumors 65816

reberto

I will do $85. It has a CoolMac KB and a "puck" mouse.

10. macrumors newbie

I might want to buy that? how much after shipping to ottawa Canada?

11. macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP