WTB: Pencils That Don't Suck

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bobber205, Mar 1, 2007.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

*ugh*

Over the years, I've always had troubles with pencils. Either their eraser blows and it writes really well or it writes ok or badly and the eraser is nice.

I usually settle for a good eraser. So here I am. Posting about a good brand of high quality pencils.

Any suggestions?

BTW Mods. I decided to post this here as opposed to the Marketplace b/c I won't actually buy anything from anyone in this one. ;)
    I hope that's ok.

2. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I love mechanical pencils. The best I've found is the PaperMate Clear Point. The eraser is great, and is huge (it twists out). The "button" to make more led come out is on the side, so when you erase you don't accidently make more lead come out. Also, its comfortable and it writes good with the included lead.

3. polevault139 macrumors 6502

4. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I hate regular pencils, I only use mechanical pencils. Then you can choose your lead and eraser and never have to sharpen. Sharpening is such a bitch.

5. MP4-22 macrumors member

I usually use mechanical pencils, but for regular ones I prefer the triangular ticonderoga

6. CaptainZap macrumors regular

Look no farther than Ticonderoga. Best pencils in the world, one of my teachers used nothing but them and I also have a friend that is into Art and won't settle for less. Pretty high quality pencils ^_^.

7. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

8. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Is there a poll on regular or mechanical? If not, you should make one. :)

Ticondoroga. I hate mechanical pencils.

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Forget the silly things attached to the ends of pencils and get a Staedtler Mars eraser. They're made of soft vinyl and won't eat holes in your paper. They have that nice vinyl smell too!

10. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Why? I <3 mechanical pencils.

11. osxnewbe macrumors regular

I use a Pentel P225 mechanical pencil and a click eraser. I've been using them for years. I actually had one pencil for almost 10 years before I lost it on a job site right after I graduated from college.

For some reason, I got got to where I hated regular pencils during my freshman year in high school and have used mechanical ones ever since....

12. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Agreed- my pencil of choice.

That being said, I'm really a marker guy. That's all I ever use, really- a papermate marker pen in blue. Those things rock.

13. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

wow
    I just realized how long it has been since i used a pencil...

I prefer mechanical 7mm ones though with B2 lead.

14. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I am a big fan of the Ticondoroga as well. It's all I will use. I can't use mechanical pencil, as I tend to press to hard, and then the lead breaks.

15. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I like this mechanical pencil.

As for non-mechanical pencil, guess it depends on what you're going to be using it for, but I guess I like Prismacolor's Turquoise graphite pencils.

And for erasers, this is by far the best eraser I have ever used, Tombow's MONO eraser.

16. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I usually hate mechanical pencils...but I'm thinking that one is worth a try.

17. shecky Guest

shecky

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Mechanical pencils FTW.

I don't have a specific brand preference. I just bought a 10 pack of some cheap BIC mechanical pencils at Wal-Mart for like 2 bucks, if that. They allow me to doodle, scribble, make random drawings in my notes, and deface our 50 year old, falling apart wooden desks even more. Oh, and they're great for taking notes and doing my homework. I don't need anything fancier.

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

regular pencils. I think it been years since I used one of those. I been using mechanical pencils now for about 7 years started using them my senior year of high school and it pick up quite a bit in college and about 4 years ago I complete stop using pencils.

I like .5mm lead.
    Hell all I use is mechanical pencils now. I been anti-pen since sophmore year of hs and never really use them for anything. Rather hate the thing as well.

Mechanical pencils FTW
    My biggest problem I run into is running out of lead when I need it. And when I have to write a check for rent and bills. Namely because I have to hunting for a pen considering I never use them (normally just go steal one of my roommates)

20. janey macrumors 603

janey

21. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

I followed the same path, though I never actually did lose any of my mechanical pencils. I still have my 20+ year-old Pentel PS315 right here at my desk.

Over the past 10 years as my life has gone more and more digital, I've taken to doing my day-to-day writing -- such as it is -- with pens. It took me a long time to find the perfect pen, but the Pilot Precise V5 rolling ball pen is it. I've got 'em in all the available colors, even a pink one which I (almost) never use.

22. Apemanblues macrumors regular

Apemanblues

I have never had any troubles with ordinary regular pencils, an eraser and a pencil sharpener.

23. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I just use pen. :)

The microball type. Nice fine line.

24. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107