WTC : more bad ideas

Discussion in 'Community' started by cr2sh, Dec 19, 2002.

1. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

http://www.msnbc.com/news/849103.asp?0cb=-412102247

Despite their best efforts the architects have again failed to come up with anything that DOESN'T SUCK . These are seriously bad designs, worse than last time. One design calls for an ampitheatre with approximately 2880seats... one for each victim in the attack.. is it just me, or is that SERIOUSLY F*CKD UP. I'm not sure what the design should look like, but if these assclowns don't start trying harder, I WILL get my mega-box of 300 crayons (including two shades of gold!) out and show them what's up.

If the Macrumors gang can solve internet fraud, can't we come up with a good design?I apologize if there's an existing post on this subject, but I didn't see it.

2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I have to agree about the amphitheatre idea. Very bad. I wish they would just build something simple, or not build anything at all, and be done with it. Instead they have to go all out with their hyperemotional death-worship and it's like if they don't include enough gooey sentimentality and awkward Oklahoma City-style symbolistic bull****, people will forget what happened. But what they don't realize is that no matter what they put there, or don't put there, people will never forget. I wish they would save the garish plaques and "veils of mourning" etc. for an offsite museum.

(Not to mention that most of those designs are butt ugly.)

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

how about the 2000+ foot building... i mean, come on.

let's fuel the fire some more eh?

i agree, let the memorial be offsite, and let's make it nice.

i think a park would be cool, just because parks are rare in nyc. but there is battery park right near there... and i suppose that given the lost office space... id on'tknow

but 2000 feet.... haha. smart. really smart.

ps. assclowns... classic.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Yeah, those designs suck - what's up with the number sign building and the shell that replaces the foot print? What were they thinking? The others are just too weird, non of them retain the elegance of the original WTC.

Recognizing the victims is one thing, here they seem to be taking it too far. Its my opinion that the architects are letting their emotions get the better of them - they need to step back from the whole WTC tragedy and rethink what they're doing. Its very simple to have a memorial that is part of a park or public area, bringing the tragedy down to human scale and not incorporating it directly to the rebuilt designs.

D

5. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I thought the 2 lights they had were great and should have been kept...granted, you only get the full effect at night...

But hey, it's a good start.

6. Chomolungma macrumors regular

taller building(s)

Some of you are suggesting that a taller building invites more trouble. I can see logic to this, but I see you as being whip by a school bully. I see that you are afraid of him.

7. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

As a new yorker i like the idea of having another building or buildings as tall as the world trade center. Not only to restore our sky line but as a huge monument that we will move on UNDETERRED by these terrible acts of violence. The buildings would be a symbol of our resolve.

What fire would tall buildings fuel?? If terrorists want to attack again they will. Tall buildings are not an invitation. Had the WT towers not been there then another target would have been chosen.

I think alot of new yorkers feel the same way. A majority are pushing to have taller buildings built in there place. Both to help restore the hole in our skyline and the hole in our hearts. In addition to a memorial the rebuilding of the site will also honor the victims and as new yorkers they may have felt the same way.

Last time i looked at the cnn poll the one with the two tall buildings had the most votes.

I'm not particularly crazy about these plans they are better than the first set but i'm still not crazy about them. I say put back the towers just not in the same spots. Put them opposite of where the foot prints are..

Just my one sided opinion on it...

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I think we should take this opportunity to make a the tallest buildings in the world again, but do it high enough that it will remain the record for more than a decade.

And place SAM launchers on the roof and on surrounding buildings, maybe even build a giant 'Laser' cannon or two. That way we can shoot the lasers straight up like they did - really thought that was classy - and possibly even see it in the daylight at times. :D

D

9. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Re: taller building(s)

True, but I still wouldn't want my office in the 97th story of ANY building. Just too plain scary.

I dont think they should build something tall. The most recent talks have been to turn the lower Manhattan area into more of a cultural center than office space. I think this would be a great idea. I actually worked next to the WTC up until August 2001 (yeah, I was really lucky) and that area was in serious need of rich cultural life. It was like a ghost town when not in business hours. If any good can come from this horrible tragedy, then let it be by celebrating the joys of life in a cultural center devoted to the arts, sciences, and humanities. A nice theater for opera, jazz and ballet performances, coupled with some art galleries and public park areas would be greatly appreciated. Have a memorial, but don't let it be ALL a memorial. It's not healthy. We have to move on.

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Re: taller building(s)

Not for everyone, I don't think. I'd be happy to have a window on the 97th floor. I'd also take up sky diving and have a parachute in my office just in case....:D

D

11. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

What bothers me most is that the biggest complaint about the WTC complex was the interference it had with the local streets. This interference, according to a whole bunch of specials on the WTC, really hurt the local economy.

I have no problem with big buildings, pools, memorials, etc... but every one of those plans ignores the street level community.

What they ought to do is create a series of buildings/memorials that restores the street level community and access. (They closed a bunch of streets originally, they should reopen - can you imagine the value and commerce that would occur on those new streets?)

12. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

alex. how'd you get dukestreet's password? awesome!

ha

yeah, let's go ahead and let our pride get in the way and build something that is automatically a target... ok.

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, you'd be catering to the people in the building, 10s of thousands alone on a daily basis - that's not a bad thing. I agree though the you have to take into account everything around the area and not make any assumptions.

Here in Old Town, the Patent and Trade Office is moving up the street on Duke St. from Crystal City. That's bringing in thousands of new people and their cars to an already congested area. Its not going to be a good thing, glad I don't live on that side of town any more.

I can't imagine what an order or two of magnitude more of people would be like.

D

14. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

i am quite surprised. did any of you actually take a look at the designs? i think most of them look very nice, and none of them are completed designs yet. a very good start in my opinion.

for a better link check out cnn (who uses msn anyway?)

http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/Northeast/12/18/wtc.rebuilding/index.html

the 'what's related' section has lots of great pictures of the various designs.

and take a good look because many of the suggestions peope have made here have actually been taken into consideration in the designs. before you start complaining and saying how stupid the designs are TRY LOOKING AT THEM! most of the designs incorporate parks and/or cultural centers.

being a biologist i like the helix design the most, but im biased.

i think it is important to rebuild. i am not a patriot, i despise war, i dont think the terrorists were evil or cowards. but rebuilding needs to happen, and i think these designs are a great start at a final design.

15. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I found the webpage, viewed the sites, constructed thoughts about them, came to macrumors and started this thread because I HAVE LOOKED AT THEM! :rolleyes:

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I have to agree with what I said before, and I did look at all of them an waited for each animation to finish. I spent 3 years as an architecture student before moving on to computer engineering, so I have a more than average understanding of form, space and architecture than most.

But its all personal opinion, anyway.

D

17. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

I find it curious that they didn't invite Frank Gehry, Stanly Tigerman, or Toyo Ito to participate. They're the most prominant architects of the age.

...but there's so many otheres that are doing such amazing work these days. The new proposals are such a disapointment, IMHO.

18. Chomolungma macrumors regular

Re: Re: taller building(s)

I believe the ability to gauge and access risk is a true measure of one's IQ.:cool:

19. Chomolungma macrumors regular

Re: Re: Re: taller building(s)

**assess LOL

20. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Keep in mind that the designs were not completely freefrom but subject to a whole set of constraints imposed by the Lower Manhattan Development Commission (like 10 million sq ft of office space, 1 million sq ft of retail space, cultural space, memorial space, transit hub, etc.).

Personally, I was immediately struck by the United Architects design:

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/us/0212/wtc.site.rebuild/content.5.1.html

A little outlandish? Sure, but I think our fair city of Gotham could use a more modern Gehry-esque touch (I mean, c'mon the tallest building here now is the 1932 vintage Empire State Building!). I like how the tallest tower would be the tallest building in the world, and I like the interconnectedness of all the buildings, especially the "Sky Park" that goes accross all the buildings. Very, very cool and truly awe inspiring if it ever gets built.

I think New York NEEDS to look to the future and make a statement about its resilience. I don't want to see another boring set of twin towers - that' been done. I really want to see a powerful, grand vision that will stand as an immortal monument to the spirit of New York City and its status as a cultural, artistic, financial, and thought leader.

21. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Its one of the better ones of the group - not saying much, but it looks to be to tight and crowded - I really think a dramatic gesture of grandure would be great, just do it with style and class and think about how it will change the skyline. Those buildings don't have cohesiveness except their facades. Doesn't work for me.

The old WTC really 'fit' in the city - these don't.

D

22. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Ummm - no it didn't you were just used to it. When the twin towers were built they were almost universally derided as an ugly monstrosity that didn't fit into the neighborhood . And the whole setup - with a huge, sterile plaza interrupting traffic flow - does not fit the pattern of ANY other buildings in this city, not even Rockefeller Center.

23. Chomolungma macrumors regular

Does it, or are we just used to it? Frankly, I thought the twin towers were architexturely dull (two rectangular cylinders). Nevertheless, the ride to the top was a thrill and the view spectacular, when I visited the place Sept. 2000.

24. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

I think you people are insane. On the CNN site, the proposals by Daniel Libeskind and Foster and Partners are both astounding (groups 1 and 2). As someone who will be living in the city soon, I'd be very happy if either one of those was built and used as office space.

25. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I think there should be two towers that are even taller than before, one of the Far Eastern countries already have twin towers that are taller than the NY WTC used to be and they are still standing. They will not get blown up again if they are protected well. Islamics tried to blow up the CN Tower in Canada and they did not because of good intel. It could never happen again because security is too good now.

Also how long do you think this war on terror will go on for? Bin Laden is an old man and will not live much longer. Also it seems as though Bush will wipe out most of the middle eastern countries. So this threat should hopefully be over with in 30years. Which is about how long the buildings will take to build.