WTF did my 360 just do?

Discussion in 'Games' started by yg17, Aug 6, 2006.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

So I was playing Burnout Revenge, and this (see attachment) happened. Then the game completely locked up. I rebooted to the dashboard and everything seemed fine. Didn't go into the actual game yet because I was about done for the night anyways, and there's not a scratch on the disc. My 360 is 2 weeks old, I hope nothing's wrong with this. I'd appreciate any insight you have. Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You realize this is a microsoft product, right? XD
    all jokes aside my PS2 has frozen before and I just restarted it and all was fine so I asume that this would hold true in your case also. Just one case of it freezing isn't something to be worried about, just as one kernal panic isn't something to be worried about. But if it happens again then you start to worry...

4. RollTide macrumors 6502

RollTide

Hmmm... Could be the video driver thing( sorry I can't remember technical name) I have a friend that was playing and the game had these weird colros on the top of the screen and then it locked up. Turs out his video card was fried. Needless to say it was unplayable for more than 10 minutes at a time. Microsoft replaced and maybe you should give them a call and make sure you give them your Box's Number.

Hope this helps.

5. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I'm not really sure, but what I do know is I reluctantly bought a 360 and it's by far the buggiest console i've ever had.

6. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

There are a lot of bugs, hopefully some updates can fix them. I havn't had many, but I hear about a lot of people who have some serious problems. I am very careful. I have a home entertainment center tv stand with a glass case and everything, but I put my 360 on top of it so it doesn't overheat, haha, hopefully my wii can go inside.

7. jonnyblobby macrumors member

jonnyblobby

Did someone say bugs?

Not that much of a game person (certainly not enough to spend over AUD$600 for a xbox 360) Got the original xbox free with a mobile phone contract, and with the limited use its had in the last 3 years, you just lose count of the lock ups etc.

Anyway, what I intended to say was that I thought it was a bit of a laugh that just last saturday when doing some store hopping just to find a place that sold a firewire cable.. Three out of five stores that had a xbox 360 demo setup were just sitting there with a black error screen another I witnessed a kid playing a racing game that just started to show distorted images similar but worse than the attached image in the first post.

8. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

It is most likely overheating. Computers will do that too if the graphics card becomes too hot. Less likely, but still possible, is that your 360 is bad. If your 360 is in an entertainment center, put it out in the open and play it and see if it still happens.

9. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

10. bmb012 macrumors 6502

Yeah, your chips started overheating, I've had that happen after overclocking my computer GPU a tad too high. Make sure the thing is well ventilated, maybe look into getting one of those fan things.

11. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    More than likely, you have a bad unit that overheats. I'm on my third 360 because the first two did the same thing. It started just after I beat DOA 4 with all the characters, then did it with every game, dvd, CD. Didn't matter. The entire system would lock up and the screen would get all ****ed up.

12. daze macrumors 6502

daze

Call up MS, and get them to replace it. I've had mine jam once in Tomb Raider, but been stable otherwise.

13. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

i dont mean to jack the thread but it sort of relates. i was wondering if anyone knew when the next revision xbox will be out. i though the next revision would have a cooler cpu that will help with the overheating.:confused:

14. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Maybe a Merom! :p

Hahahaha.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My PC does something similar, but only in FarCry. I should probably update. Basically just after the first indoor bits when you meet them 'monsters'. Shooting creates big glowing orbs that just stick around the player, bullet holes become trees. very strange.

16. crachoar macrumors 6502a

No kidding.

I'm on sweet number five, going on to six pretty soon. My latest one gives me hardware failures (three red lights) every once in a while and randomly locks up, giving me a black screen.

It never ends. It truly is the most worthless console ever created.

Byfar, the worst quality control I've ever seen of a product line.

OP: I've had this happen, dozens of times. And this happened to me with my 360 on a hardwood table, in an A/C room with and Intercooler (3 extra fans on the back).

Microsoft just rushed this POS to the market. Do not try to refurb it through Microsoft. If you want to read about my nightmare, read through my '[360] Replacement Questsions' thread.

Return it to the store where you purchased and exchange it for a new one. Get ready to repeat this step many times over...

17. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

If it's not too late you should just return it and get your money back. I got a new one after my first one was a lemon and I became all paranoid over every little thing that it did. I ended up selling it and I'm very glad I did.

18. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    That's probably not your console. Tomb Raider is buggy as hell. It locked up on me a few times too. The first time the screen went completely black and there was code all over it. There are tons of documented glitches and bugs with this game...