WTF?! Duplicate Dock Icon for iTunes?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hob, Sep 5, 2005.

1. hob macrumors 68020

Oct 4, 2003
    London, UK
    I could just trash it and forgeddaboudit, but I thought I'd post about it too.

I was looking at my dock, just after watching a dvd, thought I'd put some music on. So I right-clicked on iTunes and went to click "play" but instead the standard menu came up for a closed program. (as in "Open" "Keep in Dock" etc.). BUT I could see iTunes was open. It was right infront of me.

Then I noticed another iTunes icon had appeared in the dock, at the bottom, with the little triangle open. I right clicked on this and selected "show in finder" - it went to where iTunes is located in Applications. To be sure, I checked the original non-open icon, and it pointed there to.

Left-clicking on the original icon brings the open version of itunes to the foreground, but other than that.... wha--?
  2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    I've seen that before with other programs, usually after a something gets wedged while opening and I restart it. It smells like a race condition in the way the dock tracks programs, but that's just wild-ass speculation.