WTF happened to rock?

Discussion in 'Community' started by JesseJames, Sep 27, 2003.

1. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Has anyone else bemoaned the state of rock music? Where are the kickass bands like the ones from yesteryear?
    I use to listen to the radio a couple years ago but now I find myself relying more on my CDs in my car.
    Gods of rock, why have thou forsaken us???

2. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: WTF happened to rock?

haha, where have you been? i have been living off of my iPod and car CD changer since i got them this year, and had been relying on my mp3 library for years before that. the radio has been shot to hell, by and large, for several years now, if not more.

good bands are still pioneering with music though. it just doesn't make it to the radio, or is on it, but diluted by so much crap it isn't worth it anymore...

there's nothing anyone can do except boycott the audioexcrement on the radio, which you seem to be doing.

audioexcrement... could be a good band name.

3. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

I've always hated the radio. I've found a little solace in classic rock stations. They play exactly what modern radio/MYV isn't: music that people care about after it's hot. The only problem is you still have to hear Bon Jovi abd David Lee Roth from time to time. Overall much more tolerable.

I still don't listen to the radio at home.

4. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Re: Re: WTF happened to rock?

BoycottBadMusic.com?

;) :p

5. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Queens of the Stone age?

:rolleyes:

Some bands are up and coming, they are getting there.

6. Kethoticus macrumors 6502

Kethoticus

re: state of radio music

I concur that radio sucks the big one, and has done so for years. Most radio music is cookie-cutter crap designed not for art's sake, but for money's.

Back in the mid-80s, in the NY tristate area, there was an awesome station called WLIR (92.7), that played lots of sub-top-40 stuff, like The Cure, Depeche Mode, Erasure, 5440, The Smiths, Alphaville, Nik Kershaw, Ministry, etc., etc. But in the late 80s, starting in '87, they began to decline, in my opinion. They slowly started playing less edgy new-wave/alternative and almost sounded like a mixture of a folk and a club music station, which is pretty much where they are today.

NYC, fortunately has college radio stations which are not worried about ratings, and usually play anything, including some of the most underground stuff I've ever heard. There's also WXRK (92.3), which is a VERY edgy alternative station, playing the likes of Korn, Orgy, etc. But I am no longer in NY.

Out here in Los Angeles, where I've been living since late 2001, there is one station that comes close to playing stuff I can deal with, and that's KROQ (106.7), which is a hard-edged alternative station. They mostly play Red Hot Chili Peppers, Korn, Offspring, etc. They're a lot like the aforementioned WXRK But because they do not play more of the kind of alternative I like (less of the amelodious garage-sounding stuff and more variety, like Front 242, Faith Assembly, Assemblage 23, etc.), I rarely turn them on. Other than that, 95.5 (call letters unknown) OCCASIONALLY plays something I like, like The Cure or early U2. And there are no college radio stations out here.

The way I used to find out about great new music was via WLIR and the NYC college stations like WNYU, WFUV and WBAU, altho what these stations are playing today I don't know. That may have decayed too for all I know.

But anyway, I do not get my new music info from the radio anymore. Haven't for the better part of 14 years. I usually get it from accidentally coming across a band in a record store, a movie soundtrack, something I see on a teenager's shirt or a buddy of mine doing something illegal over the internet. I wish there was a really good radio station out there that would not play the most commercially successful music available. That's all my fiance listens to and it drives me nuts. She loves the likes of Christina, J-Lo, Beyonce, etc., etc., whom she loves to refer to as "artists".

(If anyone knows any good alternative music sources on the radio or internet (or anywhere else), please drop me a line. I love the classics I have on my iPod, but I only occasionally get to add something truly new to it.)

7. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I was in a radio interview once and they played 2 times the same song in less than 30 minutes, that was a year ago.

8. dstorey macrumors 6502a

the only radio i ever listen to these days (when i remember) are steve lamaque and john peel on bbc radio one (they stream the shows) but they are only on in the evening after rime time (think steves show was cut to maybe once a week now too). they play a lot more smaller label stuff and underground bands.

Most the bands i like are lesser known bands that havn't made it onto normal radio/MTV etc, and there are a lot of good bands out there in rock...I like some that have broke though too such as Black Rebel Motorcycle club, strokes and sometime the white stripes. At the momnet i love Radio 4 ( the band not the station), Interpol, The Sleepy Jackson and the french kicks...bands like that really. Theres a lot of music coming out of NYC and detroit at the moment as well as a few in scandinavia and Australia/NZ. Sadly the british rock music scene is pretty flat at the moment.

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

radio where I live is so horrible I find myself listening to the 80's station 90% of the time.

Lethal

10. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    guys, you gotta listen to The Darkness

you can listen to it on iTMS and then I recommend you actually buy it, i've been listening to it non stop for a week now. it's awesome. plain and simple.

11. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    oh and it moved Kerrang! [magazine] to dub them "the greatest rock'n'roll band of the last twenty years".

not bad eh?

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yeah I heard The Darkness on the radio the other day, and promptly, er, "acquired" their CD :)

13. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    oh there's still good rock...you just won't hear it on the radio. i quit listening to the radio over a decade ago. seriously, pulled the damn thing right out of my car.

i won't get into who i think rocks because...who cares, it's all subjective.

but it IS out there.

14. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

15. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Have you seen the vid that the Darkness are currently touting? Priceless. I like rock bands with a sense of humour, Tenacious D are a blast, Max Webster were excellent while they lasted and Kim Mitchell continues to fly that flag, Zappa was the undisputed champ for a long while, and it's good to see some yuks back in the old riffola machine.

Too many bands up their own arses for my taste. (Mentioning no names: Limp Biscuit, Linkin Park, Radiohead etc)

Still, I like Rush, so WTF do I know?

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

How about what happened to punk? When I was a kid, punks were dirty, scum of the earth types and their music reflected it. Now punk is ****ing mainstream. Groups like Green Day and Good Riddance with all their squeaky clean little suburban fans make me wanna ****. When did alternative become mainstream? And where's all the political outrage that punk was about? All sold out I guess.[/RANT]

17. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I'm still in love with Rage Against the Machine. Not many people like RATM. I wonder why.

irmongoose

18. howard macrumors 68020

howard

hey,

i know its not rock rock but what about indie rock?

its a taste you have to aquire but some can be really good. try checking out death cab for cutie, in particular the album "we have the facts and we're voting yes". You probably all know the band cake, there great and i would consider them rock. or if you want more experimental with an eastern kinda sound try out macha.

19. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

errr... Punk is still out there (Pennywise, NOFX, Rancid, Distillers, Tiger Army, etc.,). But if you are looking for it on Mtv you'll never find it. And the alternative always filters into the mainstream for a while. In the 50's it was the rock 'n roll from Elvis and the like. The 60's was full of counter-culture that went mainstream. Disco started out in small clubs before it exploded into the mainstream during the 70's. Punk and Metal was the mainstream alt music trend for the 80's. Of course then "alternative" music hit the scene in the early 90's. By the mid/late 90's nu-metal/rap-metal went from the cellar to the front room but thankfully that trend should be nearing it's end. The next "big thing" seems to be bands like The Strokes, The Hives, and The White Stripes.

Lethal

20. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

So true....

21. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, my personal tastes are weird.
    I've been surviving on Days of the New and its bastard child band; Tantric.
    I should get into Alice in Chains but for some reason I don't. (Shrug)
    I also like Collective Soul for my more melancholy moods.
    My favorite album from the grunge-era is Temple of the Dog. What an album. Chris Cornell, Eddie Vedder, and the crew just cranking out those awesome songs. I guess lots of money really does take away your edge.
    All the bands I've mentioned seem to be in a state of flux. They're all suppose to have released new music in the past year and there hasn't been a peep from them. Sad, sad, sad.
    Another thing, one of the two decent rock stations in my area has changed their entire format to hip-hop. Needless to say, that station has been replaced on the memory buttons with a classic rock station.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I hear ya... There are still some underground bands out there, and I'm lucky enough to be able to see some really good local bands in my hometown. I just miss the days of DK and MDC, the Vandals, 7Seconds, Minor Threat... Back when Henry Rollins was a scrawny drunk!

23. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

"rock" got old and are dying every day

rip robert palmer (power station was really kick butt)

rip john entwhistle (what a great bassist he was)

rip joey ramone( punk's original pioneer)

rip michael hutchence and kurt cobain (we didn't see it coming)

etc etc etc

...i have not liked too much in the last ten years and rock and roll has already seen its best days

we will have to wait for something new and its about time for a new music form

24. vixapphire macrumors 6502

great rawk radio station

I've driven across the country between Chicago and LA several times during the past decade, and came to the conclusion, repeatedly verified, that the Oklahoma City rock station KATT-FM (100.3 or something) is the best rock station in the country. Even better than Detroit's WRIF, WLLZ and (going way back) W4 and WABX (I grew up on those stations in Detroit, and hell yeah, they rocked).

KATT plays the most solid list of true "album rock", including plenty of classic rock stalwarts, but with a twist - they actually play album cuts of classic rock hit records, not just the same old "kashmir and black dog" routine of most big-city classic rockers. then, they work in a lot of new stuff that's format-matched very well, like Creed and the new batch of rockers, in ways that you can't really tell whether you're listening to something old or something new. in other words, this is what the FM radio experience is supposed to be, baby! when i'd be heading towards OKC on my cross country jaunts, i'd often find myself hoping to get stuck in rush hour traffic so i'd have an excuse to hang out and listen to what's going on on the KATT, such a different breed of station it is than those in LA, Chicago and elsewhere.

Anyway, long story short, KATT used to be available via link from "broadcast.com" before Yahoo got involved w/ "broadcast"; you can now google KATT FM and find their web site, from which I think a broadband link is still available for streaming audio. I haven't been there in several months b/c my tastes have gone in a different direction, but it's the only place i ever go for rock anymore (outside my own record collection).

vixapphire