WTF...huge discrepancy in Apple Education Pricing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by daneoni, Oct 28, 2006.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

This is the education price list in the UK but NO EDUCATION SITES are currently displaying this prices and yes these prices include VAT.

I'd sure like to get a mac pro for £1330, a 20" iMac for £799, a Cinema Displa for £414 or a BlackBook for £823.

Anyone have an explanation for this?, only one i can think of is this is for actual institutions and not students?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You answered your own question! :D

3. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

4. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

At my institution I can get a MB for £647 or a 17" MBP for £1554. They both include a 3 year warranty.

5. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

You see at the top where it says "UK Education Institution Price List"? What's so confusing about that?

6. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

Im at the Uni of salford, and the education page (where you need university internet to access) isnt working!! it says something about unauthorised access!

is it working for everyone else?

7. Perfectionist macrumors regular

Perfectionist

8. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

Check the first post

9. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I for one object to this most vehemently. Responsible business people should be offered at least the same level of discount as scuzzy students, most of whom will blow any savings thus gained in boozers.

10. danielbriggs macrumors 6502

Students get ~8% and institutes get 2x that i.e. ~16% discount

11. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I looked through that entire bloody list, and maybe I'm blind but there seems to be no macbook pros listed in it?

And why are there so many ipod accessories? Why would an insititution want to buy ipod junk?

12. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Yeah that is weird.

13. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I know of an elementary school in my neighbourhood that has iPods and speaker docks in the classroom for music and whatnot. Maybe that's why.

14. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

In the US, "institutions" have their own small store on the Apple store online, where students/teachers buy stuff. So i thought the prices here meant they were for institutions including their students and teachers.

It might be clear cut but it can be easily misinterpreted.

15. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Also easily confused, i went to my local store to get AppleCare and the guy said 17% discount for education and proceeds to give me only 8%. Sometimes they even slash it to 6%. Go figure

16. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The US has separate EDU stores for individuals and institutions. You need to be an authorized purchasing agent to enter the institutional store.

EDU individual prices for AppleCare are usually closer to 30% off (except for the Mac Pro, which is 20%). What AppleCare were you buying? Something doesn't sound right here.

17. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

I USED to be able to acess the HE store through NUS, but since they now charge you to have the card to do so, I can only view the standard Edu pricing (which is exactly the same as my Mcdonalds employee discount)

18. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

AppleCare for iPods, 30%?!?, i wish.

19. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Sorry...thought we were talking about Macs. iPod AppleCare discount should be 20%...$59 down to $47.

20. maddav macrumors 6502

maddav

This is what I get on my uni's apple store page.

Attached Files:

21. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I like the fact that the cheapest iMac is only £600.

22. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

No, you can still access this store without an NUS Extra card. The Apple Edu discount is in line with the Higher National Agreement here in the UK. You DO NOT have to pay for this privilege. The only difference now is NUS are so full of BS that they no longer offer a link to Apple's NUS store on their site.

The link wasn't even in the 'NUS Extra' section of their site last time I checked either.

David

The UK also has seperate stores for Education Individuals and Institutions, and it is then broken down further for individuals, depending on what level of education you are in. Things like Apple's NUS store are different entirely and this link is not available publicly or even mentioned on Apple's site.

You have to be a member of an NUS affiliated HE institute to be aware of this. Unless, of course, some jackass posts the link in a forum for every other person to use (this has been done here before).

David

23. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Apparently its not. Might ask them next time though

24. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Well that's what it is in the online Apple Stores...looks like you got ripped off by someone telling you you were getting the student discount when you weren't. :(

(I know...it's not a lot of money, but it's the principle of it.)